Thread: GPUgrid WU Feeder

GPUgrid WU Feeder

The latest problems with this project are 2 server side issues with the WU Feeder and 'Lack' of wu's. These have been a problem for about a month, and effected all platforms. The Devs promised a solution after the holidays...

The past few days users have been reporting that the 'Lack' of WU's seems to be solved (maybe). It seems there was an imbalance in the generation of PS3 wu's (too many) and GPU wu's (no enough). This problem caused a lot of "No Work for You....." messages for GPU users.

The WU Feeder might also be fixed. I have been getting 'automatic' WU downloads when my cache runs low, during the last 36 hours. So that is a good sign...

Maybe the Devs can get back to improving the client again.....lol
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

Is this effort still having problems in this area?

I ask because I'm (coff, coff) almost begining to start possibly thinking of maybe looking at the possibility of running a wheeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz boinc project on a gpu...

However my tolerance level for boinc issues is extremely low. If this project isn't running smoothly yet, what ones are?

GPU grid has been running without a hitch on two of my systems for the last few days. It gets work OK, even has a cache of 4 tasks.

Seti Beta had some issues with no work messages but has settled down recently. I grabbed a cache of about 20 tasks the other day and its happily crunching them on the GPU card while I run Wieferich on all the CPU cores.

Have you tried the regular seti? I read that it was on the gpu's now too. Are you running all these on windows or linux? I looked at the folding@home and it appears to be only windows for cuda.

What boinc version are you running for gpugrid?

I thought I'd give GPUGrid a try on my 8500GT. Not gonna happen. The workunit runs, but it would've taken - if my calculations were correct - six days to finish. With the deadline at four days, I wouldn't have received credit. I even turned off a core on my Q6600 to allow more overhead to the GPU to no avail. She's just not fast enough. I'll come back to it later when finances improve to upgrade.

I definitely don't blame you on that. Seems rather stupid of the project to put out cuda work units that the lowest common denominator for cuda enabled hardware can't crunch within the time limit. #1 it is just a total waste of the contributor's time and equipment, and #2 makes one wonder about the rationality of the project managers.... even Homer Simpson could figure that one out.

might be worth a try on one task, if it does run that long, just don't run anymore.

At 11.5 hrs and only 7% done, I was having bad recollections of the orbit@home workunits. I can't afford to spend that much time without trickles, and like orbit, have them be invalid or go passed the deadline and not receive any credit.

In regards to running CUDA apps on the slower GPUs, such as the 8500GT, their website says it will work, but they don't recommend it. Well, then either don't allow us to download the workunits, or increase the deadline!

Go post a bitch about it on their website! I'll bet you aren't the first, nor the last that has been or will be bitten by it. And it's a logical and legitimate complaint!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    Have you tried the regular seti?
    No.
    I read that it was on the gpu's now too. Are you running all these on windows or linux?
    Seti Beta on Windows XP 64 SP2 using BOINC 6.4.5 on a Q9550 @ 3.485GHz with 4GB Corsair Dominator RAM on an ASUS Rampage Formula mobo and an Inno3D 9800GTX+ 512MB GPU. Running RivaTuner 2.21. Seti Beta tasks take anywhere from 1min50sec to 2 hrs 50mins. The cache is several pages long in Boinc Manager Concurrently running 3 Wieferich clients.

GPUGrid on BOINC 6.4.5 using Windows XP Pro SP3 32bit on a Q6600 @ stock 2.40GHz on an ASUS Striker II Formula mobo with 4GB Corsair Dominator RAM (but due to Win 32 shows 3.25GB) and running an XFX GTX260(not +) 896MB GPU. Concurrently running 3 Wieferich, 1 Dimes and 4 eOn clients. GPUGrid full atom tasks take about 5 to 6 hours each. I have a cache of 3 tasks plus the one in progress.

I looked at the folding@home and it appears to be only windows for cuda.

What boinc version are you running for gpugrid?
    Last edited by vaughan; 01-17-2009 at 01:23 AM.