Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phenom II help plz

Phenom II help plz

Hi everyone. I need your help.

Is there a motherboard available that has 4x PCI-Ex 16 slots (for GPU cards for crunchers) that supports the Phenom II 940 cpu?

I know the recommended board with 4 PCI Ex 16 slots for the Phenom is the MSI K9A2 Platinum.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I looked around and found one, the ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe.

The CPU support list only shows 2 Phenom II's yet, but I'm guessing it supports more. They also say that the 4 PCIe x16 ports don't work all at x16 at the same time.

"4 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots with ATI CrossFireX™ support (@ dual x16, triple x16 / x8 / x8, or quad x8 modes)"

I'm trying to find similar solutions for NVidia, but I'm only getting boards with 3 PCIe x16 (with reference to "NVIDIA 3-Way SLI"). Maybe there isn't a 4-Way SLI yet?

Truthfully, at this point in the game, I wouldn't want 4 gpu's in one system. The rest of the infrastufcture just isn't there. A MAJOR issue you will have with them is plain old heat. The gpu's flat put out some ferocious heat and suck up some current. The technology has a ways to go yet, another generation or two before they are going to get the heat and power consumption to a point that everything could be handled on one system with 4 fully functional gpu's. I'd just get a board that would support two working cards, and wait for things to gel more. There is going to be more technology unfolding in this direction in the next year or two.

There's an Intel I7 motherboard that will take 6 GPUs.

ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution

Maybe it will need a Thermaltake Xpressar case to keep it cool.

i seen a pic of this mobo (GA-MA790FX-DQ6) with 4 gpu's in it, i believe these still a wait on working drivers to be able to run qaud fire

Edit found some pics here

I think the bigger question is, are there any that'll take 4 dual slot gpus?

Fair comment liuqyn. I tried to buy two 9800GT single slot cards last week and my usual suppliers all said - why? they run too hot, we can sell you dual slot cards ex-stock. Even their wholesale suppliers couldn't supply them so I bought two Galaxy 9800GTs. Doomeva has them running RC572 under Gentoo64 with the CUDA client.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by liuqyn View Post
    I think the bigger question is, are there any that'll take 4 dual slot gpus?
    The size of a mobo that could take 4 dual slot GPUs would have to be extended ATX or even Full ATX sized mobos, the kind used on servers, but those rarely (if ever) come with more than 2 x16 slots.

YUp I've been reading about that Thermaltake Xpressar setup. It was supposed to come out at a price point around 200-300 bucks. ITs twice that unfort.

I have the MSI K9A2, it has enough spacing to allow dual slot cards to be inserted (bottom one depends on your computer case and the space you have there). it does 2 x16 or 4 x8, dont think there are any boards that do 4 x16's anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast