Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RC5 CUDA Beta3

Ok, so a dumb question here... I have a 8800 GTS, but it is on a w2k machine. Can I participate in cuda?

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
    strange and wierd.
    my client 'appears' to be working
    BUT all my results seem to have gone ito a void.
    The stats site show that I have returned nothing.
    I killed the client remotely until I can take a closer look at what exactly is going on after work.
    I found that Razor has already posted about this on FDC
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...149#post132149

Dnet have 'held back' the stats for the 'big' packets becasue they need to tell the stats what a big packet is and what it is worth. At present their stats server looks at a 64-stats-unit packet as worth 1 instead of 64 for example.

Anyway, they (Dnet) already know about it and now we know about it too
    Last edited by AMDave; 01-29-2009 at 04:11 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

I'm so glad you posted a similar experience to me Dave. I have Doomeva's twin 9800GTs running under Gentoo64 and the hopeless Windows 32bit CUDA client under Win64 with a 9800GTX and yesterday the Free-DC site reported I got 18 points and today's stat is ZERO, yep big fat 0.

Something is terribly wrong with this latest beta3 client.

I'm switching these GPUs to something that rewards the electricity I'm donating.

Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerod Vandehey View Post
    Ok, so a dumb question here... I have a 8800 GTS, but it is on a w2k machine. Can I participate in cuda?
    I think we are still trying to work that out.
    After all this is still Beta.
    You should try it out if you like but it seems there may be a couple of issues yet.
    . . . . . ___

Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    I'm so glad you posted a similar experience to me Dave. I have Doomeva's twin 9800GTs running under Gentoo64 and the hopeless Windows 32bit CUDA client under Win64 with a 9800GTX and yesterday the Free-DC site reported I got 18 points and today's stat is ZERO, yep big fat 0.

I'm switching these GPUs to something that rewards the electricity I'm donating.
    If the client sent back completed work to the project servers then that has been stored and will be applied as soon as the stats fix is complete - which they are working on. They rolled-back those work units that were already processed, so I think they will have it right shortly.

I am going to kick my client off again in the faith that they will get the fix right.
    . . . . . ___

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod Vandehey View Post
    There are a few CUDA projects you can participate in.

Folding at home...works fine

RC5 (distributed.net)...Beta clients, and some growing pains with this last client.

Seti....Beta also I think.

GPUgrid (Boinc)...I don't think your card will run this. They are Beta also.
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender10 View Post
    They are Beta also.
    There in lies the truth.
    these are still very early days.

I guess you could put it this way, "If my Graphics card suddenly went dead how bad would that be for me?"

If you are using an older card that you just have around as a spare then you may feel that it is an acceptable risk.

On the other hand, if it is the only graphics card you have on your workstation (main machine) and the mobo does not have an on-board GPU for backup, then you would be up the proverbial creek until you got a replacement.

It is up to you to decide what level of risk is acceptable to you.
    . . . . . ___

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    The eternal 32/64 bit speed myth...
    The compact version --> there is little or no speed difference in data transfer rate between 32 and 64 bit OSes.
    Okay, then in the case of sieving for instance, why do the 64 bit linux slieving clients walk all over the 32-bit?

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post

They will have t hat issue taken care of in no time. One thing about the distributed.net folks is that they get their problems solved in a big hurry.

The real way to control it though is to run your own perproxy if you don't like the 64-credit work units. On the beta download page is the beta windows perproxy client for version 347. Those will handle the 64-credit units. The current highest version for the linux perproxy that I see is ver 343, which handles the non-variable clients. I run a linux perproxy v343, and wasn't seeing any of the big units. So in setting a system up to go the net for work, the cuda clients will end up being assigned to a v347 proxyserver which will push down the 64-credit units. So then I started a timing run between two GTX260 systems, one running the small units, and one running the big units, both on linux-64 core #7, and I'm seeing a 10% gain in completed stats units on the system running the large work units. It is also running warmer too. :-) Which also means that it's sucking more juice too... but they have optimized the cuda clients a bit more by going to the large units to extract more work from them. And they want you to run them, so you can bet your bottom dollar that they will get the credit issue worked out in a big hurry, otherwise there would be people that wouldn't run the client. Contributing team members want points, and they want completed work, so I wouldn't be worried about the point issue.

I hope they get the ATI cards supported soon, I see them talking about it, but mine still doesn't work yet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast