Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RC5 CUDA Beta3

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    Okay, then in the case of sieving for instance, why do the 64 bit linux slieving clients walk all over the 32-bit?
    That is due to the brand new cpu features that exist in 64bit processors that make it really good for mathematical operations, but that 32bit software can't use.
    Here's a couple of shamefully copy-pasted features from the article on 64bit from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

64-bit integer capability: All general-purpose registers (GPRs) are expanded from 32 bits to 64 bits, and all arithmetic and logical operations, memory-to-register and register-to-memory operations, etc. can now operate directly on 64-bit integers. Pushes and pops on the stack are always in 8-byte strides, and pointers are 8 bytes wide.
    The ability to work with 8 bytes (64bit) at once instead of 4 (32bit) makes it possible to move around twice as much data between CPU and RAM. (And only CPU and RAM. No GPUs here)
    The result is that if you want to move two 64bits long numbers in RAM to the CPU, in a 64bit OS you can do it in two clock cycles (64bits at a time) while in 32bit OS you run 4 clock cycles (32bits at a time).

Additional registers: In addition to increasing the size of the general-purpose registers, the number of named general-purpose registers is increased from eight (i.e. eax,ebx,ecx,edx,ebp,esp,esi,edi) in x86-32 to 16.
    Registers are memory spaces inside the cpu where you store numbers to be worked on. Having more registers means you can store more numbers there to crunch. If you have 2 registers and need to do a sum of three parcels, at some point you have to waste time moving around partial results to RAM because they don't all fit in the registers.
    If you had 4 registers for the same sum, you would do it all at once.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Big day for their statsman. They just rolled the stats back a whole week
    Data shown reflects all blocks received as of 22-Jan-2009 at 23:59 UTC. Current time is 30-Jan-2009 02:35:42.
    It appears the fixes are in progress.

/ed -
    upto 25th now
    Data shown reflects all blocks received as of 25-Jan-2009 at 23:59 UTC. Current time is 30-Jan-2009 03:05:17.
    Last edited by AMDave; 01-30-2009 at 02:07 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Site Admin
    Looks like they are all done
    Data shown reflects all blocks received as of 29-Jan-2009 at 23:59 UTC. Current time is 30-Jan-2009 06:39:57.
    and the numbers look right to me.
    http://stats.distributed.net/team/tm...d=8&team=28697
    . . . . . ___

Site Admin
    Sweet stuff.
    It looks as though we are going to introduce some "Smack Fu!" to Team Norway 2 days before this client expires.
    that is - if we are all still crunchin'
    Are we all in?
    . . . . . ___

Yes - running it again now that the stats are sensible again. If it wasn't for the Primegrid year of the Ox challenge I would have switched my CUDA client boxes over to Folding; instead I left the GPUs on idle and put all cores on PG.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
    Sweet stuff.
    It looks as though we are going to introduce some "Smack Fu!" to Team Norway 2 days before this client expires.
    that is - if we are all still crunchin'
    Are we all in?

Your computations are based on.....................................

Site Admin
    30 day average
    pass should happen in 15 -20 days
    I added some wooliness because its not clear how much steinrar is crunching at the moment due to the stats changes.

probably sooner rather than later, though
    thats well into the sub-200 ranks too by the way!
    . . . . . ___

Site Admin
    PS - check this out for AMD-Users
    "The odds are 1 in 77 that this team will find the key before anyone else does."
    That's incredible!
    . . . . . ___

I'm surprised Team Norway isn't cranking out more. But then they are pushing hard on some others. AMD_Users is slowly climbing up in the millions of completed units. Was a good output yesterday. What work units are others completing? Big or small ones? All mine are small since I'm running a perproxy to feed the crunchers and keep them busy since my net connection sometimes goes nuts.

With ogr-ng coming to an end, maybe there will be an upgraded perproxy put out that handles ogr-27 and the large rc5 units.

We are about ready to slide under 3 days left on the beta3 cuda client. Hopefully we won't end up getting jacked around again waiting for another client to reappear.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast