Thread: ATI gpu's

ATI gpu's

So is anyone around here tracking what ATI is doing in the gpu world? What's the hot one? What projects are supporting it. What has ATI done regarding their comparable cuda stuff and does anyone have any urls to that stuff? I've just been tuned in to the cuda stuff but am curious about ATI. They need to get going if they want to stay in business..... ??

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    ATI's cuda comparable technology seems to be called " ATI CAL" (Compute Abstraction Layer), altough they also support a computing language called Brook+, and they are to launch this quarter a powerful video card on the professional line, the firestream 9270. This must cost a bundle...
    http://ati.amd.com/technology/stream...ream_9270.html

Projects that support it, I can only think of Folding@Home. Don't know if there's any other project out there with support for ATI.

Their Stream Computing side of the website also doesn't show much
    http://ati.amd.com/technology/streamcomputing/

EDIT: And now that I look into it, I'm not so sure if Folding@Home supports the Firestream line of cards...
    Last edited by NeoGen; 01-31-2009 at 06:40 PM.

There is apparently an optimized app for Milkyway@Home been written for use on the high-end ATI cards which is 100x faster than the current already optimized apps...

Some of the code is apparently making it's way into BOINC according to the mailing list chatter..

Bok

Interesting! Thanks for the places to look at!!

GPUgrid is looking for help testing a GPU application for ATI's...? You should have an HD series GPU (3800..4800..?). I'm not familiar with ATI...so.

Hi there,

If you own an ATI HD card and are running 64bit Linux with the Catalyst 8.12 drivers, and would like to help out in a spot of research, please drop me a PM!

Thanks,

MJH
    GPUGRID dev

See this post: http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=691

If that link does not work, go to the 'meet and contribute' forum and reply with a pm. I guess you have to join the GPUgrid club first....
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

That looks like good news... I may have to look into this when I get some extra time as my 4850 is currently in a windows machine to run FAH.

I replied too as I have a spare 4870 laying around unused.

i'm looking forward to the ATI DX11 part...