Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's up???

nice going, I don't seem to stay on one project long enough lately to get my average credit up.

Nice work !

well done Jerod i guess you might be happy i dont frequent that project much and it appears that my native quad's mobo has died lol

I work in the building products industry, and I can tell you that business is really slow. About half of our local work force has been laid off and my hours have been cut about 15 hours a week. I've really had to cut back locally to make ends meet.

Me, I'm just trying to understand the concept of US $209,000+ per job we are supposed to save or create here in the US ($838 billion to save 4 million jobs - you do the math) via this "stimulus" package. If they want to stimulate the ecomomy then make us want to spend money - don't spend what we don't even have for us. I could say far more on this, but likely this isn't the topic.

Crunching; I just stopped MJ-12 and started Dimes back up. From 1 day's worth of work; it looks like I'll be doing over 2k measurements per day. I'll be in the team's top 100 by tomorrow. Long climb to the team's upper ranks - nothing exciting going on there. Won't be sending China any more money for new systems or boards for a while.

I'm seeing a lot of slowing down around here. About the only thing that still seems to be doing well are the eatery's. But I expect that will slow down too as things progress with the slow down. A lot of layoffs in all sectors around here. The building world has really slowed down. Only a few new buildings going up now, and they were started long before the banking stuff hit. As for the new housing starts, they aren't. Not seeing the traffic at night that I used to either. More people staying home in the evenings.

As for my own purchases, I just ordered a replacement m/b for one that burned up. But I'm not into any more expansion. I've got 4 nvida geforce gpu's and that's all I'm buying of them. Basically just hunkering down and will run with what I have. If they start dinking around with the electricity rates, then the gpu's will be taken offline due to their consumption. I think that the good old days are behind us. I don't expect to see things go back like they were, not for a long time anyways.

A lot of people have really taken it in the shorts with their 401k's. A lot of the older folks I talk with that were getting ready to retire don't have that luxury any more. And for the folks in their 40's, 50's, and 60's, the odds of building back up their retirement next egg is basically down the tubes. So while a lot of the politicians, and investment world people keep trying to talk things up, it's all just a lot of wishful thinking. They may get jobs going again, but for the older folks, rebuilding their funds is going to present some severe problems. Myself, I don't think that the party (pun) has started yet, it's all still in the pre-party stage.

I feel worst for the folks who have just recently retired. There is no way they are bringing home what they had expected. Businesses are cutting back so they won't be able to go back to their old jobs or at their age get new ones.

Yep, I hear you IRT the old folks. It's about an impossibility for them to get their savings back unfortunately. Pretty sad indeed. But it's just plain sad for anyone to lose savings through no fault of their own.

So where did all the posters go??? Here it is, another Monday morning here in the US of A anyways, and I log in, and didn't see any new posts. A true bummer!!

And while I'm on the bummer routine... The team I started out with in the DC world has done disappeared it appears.. US-Distributed, which once upon a time was Team SETI USA, which morphed into US-Distributed when more projects other than seti@home started proliferating. One day the website was there, and then it wasn't. Time marches on, or so the saying goes anyway. Rather sad to me to see it fold up. But as I look through a lot of other team's websites, their postings seem to be dropping also. Even some of the really big ones don't seem to have the traffic that they did not too awfully long ago.

I remember US-Distributed, they had some heavy hitters. Where did they all go?

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    I remember US-Distributed, they had some heavy hitters. Where did they all go?
    A lot of them headed for Free-DC. That's where Bok and I headed. Then I started crunching here more than FDC. There's still some people crunching under the US-D name on various projects, but it keeps on thinning out. Several were California people, and electricity prices there (and other places too) have spiked quite a bit since the hey day of the team. And then a lot of time has gone by, and people drift away from the DC thing as they move on to other things in their lives too... just like maefly at FDC which is the subject of a current thread over there. So it's a combination of things I think.

But one thing is sure, and that is that active forums keep people returning to keep up to date with what is going on.

What's up???

I would keep this conversation going by explaining that I have had a family matter step up and take most of my time. It is not me but some one in my care. This of course means I need to be nearby relentlessly close all the time. Time on the computer is less plus I picked up a part time job that I thought would be only 20 hours per week. and the first week touched 80 hours. I asked for less and this week I am getting less, if I get pushed into doing more I will have to find another part-time job!

I stop in periodically and quickly exit due to the caring situation. I am still around not just very active in posting. Yes it is quiet, but it is that way everywhere not just here on AMD Users... Cheer up this can't last forever can it?

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast