Thread: riesel sieve retired?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

riesel sieve retired?

Can anyone confirm that Riesel Sieve has really retired, or is it just in a pause?

The website says...
    "The Riesel Sieve project is currently undergoing reconstruction."
    ...but I think that is there for a long time already, probably a year or more.

If it really has retired, I'll add it to the Wiki.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    I am sorry to say that it is truly defunct.

I can no longer make contact with Bryan and he no longer makes posts on the revived forum and has not answered my PMs there and has not been seen in IRC for many moons.

A number of co-ordinators in the Prime searching community, that RS was part of, also now consider RieselSieve to be dead. They may already have resumed that number-space and that means they could not resume from where they left off anymore anyway.

Lets park it.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

I remember doing a lot of math work here when no one else was really in to the math stuff. There have been a lot of people do a lot of work on the project. Really sad to see it down the tubes, but that stuff happens. What would be a real shame though is if the work is also down the tubes. Has the sieved work been made available so that others could move forward, or incorporate it into other work?

After a lot of years in the DC world, I keep seeing projects just crap out and fade into eternity. Too many of them fade out with no accounting being made to those that invested a lot of time, effort, and money into supporting the projects. Too many project managers out there move on with the attitude that it's "their" project, and forget that basic fact that you can't have a party if no one attends.

It would be nice if there was a University somewhere that kept track of all the geek math stuff just so stuff didn't fall off the radar. Once upon a time like back before, and when Seti started off, the DC world was a real kick. It was fun. There was a sense of community, and it was exciting. I honestly have to say that I just don't get that excited about stuff now. Burned too many times by investing a ton of machine time and hardware upkeep, etc., into projects that have gone down the tubes.

Sigh.............................

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    It would be nice if there was a University somewhere that kept track of all the geek math stuff just so stuff didn't fall off the radar.
    I'm not sure about how big would the math stuff be, but hey, in terms of space I'm pretty sure that even us could host it on the AMD Users website for public access.
    If half a dozen teams did it as well, this math stuff would be replicated in various points of the globe, for better access for anyone, anywhere.

"Distributed" way of thinking...

Site Admin
    No need.
    kar_bon keeps track of it all here
    http://www.rieselprime.de/
    we are pretty sure he has the RS results captured there too.

quote (without permission) from gd_barnes
    There is no single reference for all known primes but there is now virtually a single reference for all known Riesel primes, that is primes of the form k*2^n-1. It is Karsten's site at www.rieselprime.org. It is an amazing compilation of a huge amount of information from multiple sources about anything regarding Riesel primes. It even contains a large amount of info. about various individual and projects that have searched for Riesel primes.
    I started drilling into some of the pages and found that kar_bon's site has a great deal of info there.
    Last edited by AMDave; 03-24-2009 at 09:54 AM.
    . . . . . ___

Site Admin
    I can also add that I got confirmation that RieselSieve was a sub-effort of CRUS and as such CRUS captured all of the output through that wider effort.

So the only thing that should be missing would be the stats files.

However, the stats were captured by the stats sites and so I do not consider them to be lost.
    . . . . . ___