Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D2OL Shutting down?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

D2OL Shutting down?

See:
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18435

I can't get to the web site to check the referenced URL.

Looks like TSC is also going away. The below is a copy and paste from the BroadBand Reports Forum:

[TSC] TSC project coming to an end April 15

This was posted on the TSC forum today by Adam Huges. It is not an April fools joke. I IM'ed Adam and he confirmed the project is ending.

posted April 01, 2009 04:45 PM
    Dear Community TSC members,

On April 15, 2009, the Community TSC distributed computing project will officially end operations.

As this chapter in the history of The Rothberg Institute comes to a close, we wanted to take the opportunity to extend a sincere note of thanks to you, our indcredibly dedicated members who have driven every aspect of this project. We also want to take a few moments to reflect on what we have accomplished and to touch on how the project's results, thanks to your committed efforts, will be leveraged by The Rothberg Institute in the future.

As most of you know, this project set out to develop a viable platform for enabling users from around the globe to use their personal computers (whether PCs, Linux or Unix boxes, etc.) to compute the interactions of small molecule drug candidates with target molecules that likely play prominent roles in Tuberous Sclerosis Complex disease pathways.
    In the more than seven years that the project has been active, our members have returned results for over 150 million drug candidate-disease target tasks, utilizing over 3000 years' worth of CPU time in the process!

With the computational results available to us, we turn all of our attention toward harvesting the best possible candidates from this data set and focusing our efforts in the laboratory in order to accomplish our original goal: finding effective real-world treatments for TSC. The Rothberg Institute remains firmly committed to this objective.

As we move forward, we will maintain our list of active and past members who have committed so much time and energy to this project, and we plan to update you periodically on the progress that we're making in the lab. Your efforts have been invaluable in moving us into position to take this next important step, and we truly appreciate the contributions that you have made.

We hope that you have enjoyed participating in this project as much as we have. For all that you have done, thank you!

The Rothberg Institute Staff

The link is working now. That's a shame that yet another long-term project is being retired. I haven't really gotten over their unforgivable stats debacle from a while back.

R.I.P. D2OL and TSC.

Seems strange too that the shutdown is being handled the way it is. Here they were working away at getting client issues taken care of, which if they knew they would be shutting down within a year or two, why put any effort in to reworking clients. So I'd be willing to bet that the real issue was a funding thing. Can't tell me that they have exhausted all the stuff that they were going to do on the bird flu either.

And as for the stats fiasco, they never really did recover from that. They used to have a ton of contributors, but a lot of people just wrote the project off after the stats fiasco. So tsc/d2ol are gone, two more non-boinc projects down the tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    Seems strange too that the shutdown is being handled the way it is. Here they were working away at getting client issues taken care of, which if they knew they would be shutting down within a year or two, why put any effort in to reworking clients. So I'd be willing to bet that the real issue was a funding thing. Can't tell me that they have exhausted all the stuff that they were going to do on the bird flu either.

And as for the stats fiasco, they never really did recover from that. They used to have a ton of contributors, but a lot of people just wrote the project off after the stats fiasco. So tsc/d2ol are gone, two more non-boinc projects down the tubes.
    I'm still getting D2OL stat results for today.

Was talking about the big stats fiasco a few years back when they ended up zero-ing out everything.

D2OL and TSC have been moved to the Retired Projects Section.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

I'll remove them from the stats as well.
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

Yesterday I tried start the D2OL agent (after a long time of inactivity) and it worked bit refuce collect any data. "Unable reach the host". Today when I started the computer I got a message as said "D2OL cant run because there is not enougt memory". What the hell I was thinking. Went to their site and saw immidately somtging not were right.

Read what they had wrote and understood the end had come. Now it is lesser non-Boinc project to run. Before I couldn´t reach MoneyBee either.

Lagu
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast