Thread: registered ddr3 on AM3?

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

registered ddr3 on AM3?

Does anyone know an AM3 based motherboard that supports registered DDR3?
    None of the ones I've looked up based on 790/790FX/790GX chipsets support registered DDR3.

I was wondering about AM3 boards with 4 memory slots to build a rig with 16Gb of ram, but the 4gb ddr3 modules I found are all registered, and no AM3 board that I found supports registered ram. What's missing here?

The crucial website is the only place so far where I found the 4Gb ddr3 modules
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listmod...~HS~/list.html

Hi NeoGen,

Your right, I see AMD boards that support ECC DDR3 memory but not registered/buffered memory. (Asus M4A78T-E AM3 DDR3 Motherboard)

I see several of course Intel based for I7 and Xeon that support ecc and registered DDR3 memory.

On the AMD side it looks like its going to have to be a MB based on the
    AMD 790GX chipset if such a animal does appear.

Usually buffered/registered and ECC memory is reserved for server motherboards, and typically if you find a board in the past that supports buffered memory in the bios, then usually I found them to contain next to zero overclocking support. A good example is my tyan motherboard that I run 2 (4core) Barcelona chips on. It supports ecc(requires) and registered memory, and has zero OC ability. Unfort, that ability is not usually found on a desktop system.

Also I found a interesting little article on DDR3 memory.
    http://www.simmtester.com/page/news/...orks+?&num=149

Why do you need this sort of mobo NeoGen? Do you have some registered ecc DDR3 ram? I imagine it was pretty expensive.

Maybe wait until the end of 09 or is it 2010 for Magny Cours to be released - hey 12 core AMD.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    No, I don't really need it, and don't have the ram, but I was curious about it.

I was thinking that if I built my own rig I'd push the limit on the ram, and that is 16Gb for most 4-slot mobos. Maybe starting with one or two sticks of 4Gb for now and in the future add one or two more when needed.

But then I couldn't find 4Gb sticks of ddr3, except the registered ones, and the mobos didn't support those, which means that one is limited to a maximum of 8Gb of ram on an AM3 based system for now.

And that is disappointing because I like playing with virtualization technologies (mostly VMWare) and 8Gb of RAM would be filled up in no time.

On the other hand there's those server boards with plenty of ram slots, but those only take ddr2, and that's a bit old nowadays.

Note: As a good AMD fan(atic) that I am, I have not even looked at what solutions our arch-nemesis I**** provides.

i believe you may run into other limits, i cant remember exactly but i think, you can only use 1 stick of ram per slot or something like that ?