Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lets have a race!!!

Cool

Hi Plonk,

I have a bigger problem. I have a bunch of systems with dual quads installed. I doubt they will count as 4 either

Do you have a X3 ? If so, have you tried enabling the 4th core? Check out the below. It might work for you.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/phenom-ii...-the-4th-core/

well, the X3s are based on the (faster) Phenom II X4s, so it's SOMEWHAT fair against the Phenom II X4s.

two more questions: is this AMD only?

what's the last date to register? i have parts arriving soon...

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellds View Post
    I have a bigger problem. I have a bunch of systems with dual quads installed. I doubt they will count as 4 either

Do you have a X3 ? If so, have you tried enabling the 4th core?
    nice @ dual quads

nah, i'm not going to mess with it. i'm not an OCer or tweaker (altho, that might change with my upcoming proc if it turns out to have an unlocked multiplier)...
    Last edited by plonk420; 04-27-2009 at 06:46 PM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    is this AMD only?
    No, Intels can run too. That question did cross my mind but it didn't make sense when we have an Intel cpu as prize. It wouldn't feel right.

Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    what's the last date to register? i have parts arriving soon...
    There's no final date to register. As in past contests I even let people join in mid contest if they wish to. But naturally, starting with a delay reduces your chances to win.

I'll sign up for the 4 core , my Rosetta # is 1001237

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    May 11th - May 16th - Rosetta@Home
    May 18th - May 23rd - (undefined project)
    May 25th - May 30th - (undefined project)
    June 1st - June 6th - (undefined project)

The missing projects will be defined at most before the start of the contest.
    I would hope the other projects will also be quorum=1 so nobody would be penalized by waiting for a wingman to return their result. And also no quorum=1 projects that rely on benchmarks for credit as 64bit OS claims higher than 32bit OS.

Some suggestions here would be yoyo, QMC, POEM, WCG (FAAH, DDDT, & HFCC are quorum=1). Even CPDN would work with their trickle system, but you never know when their server is going to fall over.

I would like some clarification on saving up wu's before a race begins and dumping them after it begins...I've always thought of that as ( sorry ) cheating.Can we have a race where at the beginning everyone is on equal footing or is the dumping thing something that can't be prevented ??

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

you can probably tell by the due date (unless it's a project with a lot of subprojects like WCG). don't projects also say when a unit was picked up?

I will race, too.
    http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/sh...hostid=1057835
    Take only this one makes more sence then use my both machines.

But I think I need a better cooler for the PC. Its only 23°C in my room and the PC cries for cooling.
    Linux is like a wigwam. No windows. No gates. Apache inside. http://debian.org

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAdder View Post
    I would like some clarification on saving up wu's before a race begins and dumping them after it begins...I've always thought of that as ( sorry ) cheating.Can we have a race where at the beginning everyone is on equal footing or is the dumping thing something that can't be prevented ??
    Well, umm... I'm still considering that... it is somewhat preventable but doing it carries other problems.

I can filter WUs based on their sent date, the date and time at which they were sent to the host, but if I did that people would have to clear their caches right before the contest and reload the caches at the exact time or after the contest was started.
    That means increased babysitting, which is something people generally dislike, and because the contest will start at a fixed hour worldwide, some people for example would end up having to do it in the middle of the afternoon, while others at 4 am, depending on the position in the globe, which would make it even worse.

I think the best I can do to minimize the caching without getting people too upset is to filter accepted workunits for at most 12 hours before contest start, which would probably give anyone on the world (no matter the place) some more or less ok hour of the day for the necessary babysitting.
    For example, if contest start is at midnight (GMT), the accepted time for switching projects and caching would be between noon and midnight on GMT schedule, 6 am to 6 pm in the USA (assuming GMT-6 location), and 10 am to 10 pm in Australia (assuming GMT+10 location)
    Last edited by NeoGen; 04-28-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    snip... and 10 am to 10 pm in Australia (assuming GMT+10 location)
    That will be good for Danish Dynamite and AMDave. (Remember I'm sitting this race out.)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast