Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Users RACE - Finished!!

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

AMD Users RACE - Finished!!

Here it is, the official and final AMD Users RACE thread after all the input received and corrections applied.

The Contest Plan
    So, as already said in this thread, in a nutshell the plan is the following...
    - Championship style with 4 Races in different projects
    - 3 distinct race categories (1-core, 2-cores, and 4-cores) will be running in parallel.
    - Each participant can apply to one or more of the race categories, provided it has enough hosts to sign up for all the categories applied.
    - Participants can submit a single host or a group of hosts for each desired category. Both single, and groups, must match the number of cores of the category. For example, 2 dual-cores can be grouped to run in the quad-core category.
    - Each host may only be signed up in one race category. The same host can't be in two parallel races.

NOTE: HyperThreaded Intels count double if hyperthreading is active. A single core hyperthreaded intel will count as a dual-core because it's running as dual-core. (Altough I know it doesn't have the performance of a real dual-core)
    NOTE 2: The special case of the Phenom X3, with 3 cores, makes it unfit for any of the categories. But if the owner pairs it with another single core host, that will make it a total of 4 cores, which is good for the 4-core category.

How to participate
    For participation in the race, you'll have to "sign up". That just means that you need to post here to tell me that you want to race and give me the host IDs of the machines that will be running.
    But guys, I can only accept people that have been registered in the forums for at least three months and crunch for the Team. If you are reading this but are not registered, don't feel bad because we organize races every now and then. Just register here, keep crunching with us, and keep an eye on the boards for the next race.
    Now to sum up the rules in a nutshell, each participant can only submit one entry for each category. You can race on both categories, but only with one entry on each, and with different hosts on each. So choose wisely the best host(s) for each category that you can, it can make the difference.
    NOTE: The hosts that you apply for each race need to be publicly viewable. That means that if you have your hosts hidden, you have to set them to show on your boinc preferences.
    NOTE 2: For each project the host id is a different number. I'll ask for the new IDs before each race.

Race Projects and calendar
    As said before, the plan is a 4 race event on different projects. Each race should fit in a week, 6 days long race and the 7th day free for making preparations and switching projects. The measurement unit will be the total credits, and at the end of each race the top 5 participants with the most credits will receive a number of points from 5 to 1 according to their final ranking. The contest champions will be the participants with the highest number of points awarded in each category, after the 4 races. In case of a tie, the next factor will be number of race victories. And if still it remains a tie, the last tie-breaking factor will be the total ammount of credits of the 4 races, which I don't believe any two people will do equal.
    First race should start May 18th, and will be on Rosetta@Home. Following projects are still to be defined. A preliminary calendar should be like this:

May 18th - May 23rd - Rosetta@Home
    May 25th - May 30th - POEM@Home
    June 1st - June 6th - Genetic Life
    June 8th - June 13th - Enigma@Home

June 14th - Final results display & my Birthday!

The undefined projects will be voted upon in a poll.

Prizes
    This is the part everyone was anxious to read. We have received two offers to be used as contest prizes.

For the 4-core race the prize is one EVGA GeForce GTX-260. This monster gpu will give you both incredible graphics in games, and incredible points in gpu crunching! You do not want to miss this chance of getting one for free!

For the 2-core race the prize is one Intel Core2Duo E8400. Altough we're an AMD oriented team, we recognize a good cpu when we see it, even if it's of the competition. This bad boy dual-core runs at stock speed of 3GHz but has been successfully pushed beyond 4GHz.

And for the 1-core race, the prize is one official AMD Users T-Shirt, with choice of white or black. Unlike the previous two prizes, this one is not yet on stock and will depend on the body size of the winner. Upon the contest finish, the winner will be asked for size and choice of color, and then the prize will be sent.

I hope everyone understood the general idea. Any questions, comments, or ideas, post them below!

Participants listed so far:

4-core Race
    - gamer007 - 1065357
    - Velociraptor - 1024231
    - BlackAdder - 1001237
    - Jason1478963 - 1057978
    - Liuqyn - 814003
    - PcManiac - 1060908 & 1061200 & 1064794
    - plonk420 - 1063906
    - sentient_life - 1064920
    - AbadI)on - 1058289
    - mitchellds - 1068846
    - vaughan - 912944

2-Core Race
    - txt.file - 1057835
    - Liuqyn - 814028
    - Ramjet - 1065417
    - Moops - 798359
    - mitchellds - 1068179
    - vaughan - 1064406

1-Core Race
    - NeoGen - 1062935
    - liuqyn - 1068848
    - vaughan - 145058
    - Ramjet - 1064805
    Last edited by NeoGen; 06-14-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Site Admin

just happened, have to clean my keyboard....

p.S.: before i forget: when will the polls take place??
    Last edited by velociraptor; 05-08-2009 at 06:25 AM.
    mihi deliberandum est....

Site Admin
    I want to start those soon.

I'm just fixing up a kind of manual mass-mailing to AMD Users, to inform people that don't come by the forums often about the contest and how to participate too. Maybe we could get some more people joining in the fun.

let´s make the project-servers glow .
    the more people the more they will shine.
    mihi deliberandum est....

ok, ready to sign up i guess: 1063906 @ rosetta

Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    1063906 @ rosetta
    Oh boy... this one is gonna be good!

Hey all, Count me in - 798359 @ Rosetta

Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    Hey all, Count me in - 798359 @ Rosetta
    You're in for the 2-core race Moops. I'll pm you your trials values if you already have WUs in Rosetta.

Site Admin
    Here's a great CPU that works like a horse and OC's nicely. Its only defect is the manufacturer, but we can overlook that can't we fellows?

This next pic was taken by its owner. As it shows, this bad boy can be pushed beyond 4GHz!
    I'll have to confirm with the prize donor, but I think that OC was done on air cooling.
    EDIT: I was correct, it was with a Zalman 9500 cooler.

Last edited by NeoGen; 05-08-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast