Thread: Network issues

Network issues

It's times like this I hate being a truck driver, 5 of my computers at home decided to have network connect problems yesterday and now I have to wait til the weekend to find out whats going on.

yup, I have that same constant annoyance around my setup also. power and network. I'm actually scaling my farm back due to power usage, heat, changing priorities, etc. I think I'm going to cut in half my farm to start with, especially since things are leaning toward GPU's these days, and boinc point wise, the heavy CPU use is being over shadowed quickly.

I think I might next build a GPU powerhouse with 3-6 GPU's maybe based on this puppy. http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=9ca8hJfGz483noLk when its available that is.

I'm sure being on the road adds to the annoyance factor when your remote from your droids.
    Last edited by mitchellds; 05-07-2009 at 03:03 PM.

whats worse is one of the effected systems is my main GPU rig, 45k/day plus CPU time lost.

ouch, I see your point.

I was having issues with my network too. I was about ready to replace my linksys router when I found a 3rd party firmware(dd-wrt) that worked on it. It has been much better to work with. I was having problems even getting the setup web page to come up. The solution to that was to unplug the router and plug it back in. This sometimes required a switch or two to be unplugged as well. I can understand your frustrations, and hope you have some work cached to keep your machines busy.

power cycling is the first thing on my list when I get home. as for work cache, they have some but that doesn't help on my GPUGrid work as they don't allow more then 1 per core, so 4 on my quad and I burn through that in 10 hrs on average(though some WU are running double length lately but thats still only 20hrs).

It may be time to look into some different firmware if your router is supported. I can't believe the difference on mine. I know what you mean when it comes to gpugrid. I'm getting frustrated with my ps3 having to wait for work units because they had server problems. I shut it off during that time and now it feels it cant finish work units on time. I think that no cache isn't very user friendly. It may not even be server friendly as any downtime on there end has everyone trying to get work units.

turns out half the ports on my 24 port switch quit working. good thing is I wasn't using most of the dead ones anyway, and was able to rework them around to get all back online again. now just need to check if it's still under warranty(which I doubt).