Thread: Star Trek

Star Trek

Did anyone see the new Star Trek movie over the weekend? If so, what did you think. I thought it was a very good movie.
    Do I look like I'm Joking?

not yet :/ maybe if I sell a computer this week hahaha!
    If you can't make it ... Don't come!
    http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest2007/race4b.htm

I watched it with some friends on Saturday. All of us really enjoyed it. I found a good mix of action and comedy. I only started watching the original movies before this one and I found they got most of the original cast quite well albeit a younger cast.

Overall, a great movie. It's too bad they didn't have it on IMAX around here, would've been nice to see on one of the huge screens.

I have seen all the Star Trek TV shows and movies and thought the new 'Star Trek' film was one of the best. Sure, some things were changed. If it gets more people to watch and enjoy a great sci-fi franchise, and produces more movies, then so much the better, IMO.
    Last edited by sentient_life; 05-12-2009 at 01:19 AM.

Yeah, I think it was very well done. They will be able to make many more movies now. Keep the franchise alive.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer007 View Post
    Overall, a great movie. It's too bad they didn't have it on IMAX around here, would've been nice to see on one of the huge screens.
    the only movie i've seen (sans 3D, which i haven't seen) that is justified for IMAX is Dark Knight. IMNSHO. ;)

Cool

I just saw it on IMAX. It was entertaining, although a bit cheesy. Uhuru was a lot hotter than I remember from the original series! Lucky Spock huh?

I kinda liked the green chick.

Saw it again today. It was still good the second time.

My friend saw it a second time. I wish I could see it again...

There's always a Blu-ray release (Mmm.. 1080p).

Saw it last night. It was an enjoyable movie, but yeah, there's some cheese in it.

I think they should have toned down Kirk a bit, a little too much of the wise ass. ie they could have left out the screen time while he was a kid. That really didn't add anything to the movie other than the rebellion thing. The original Spock did a good job, added to the movie. The new spock was good too, as were the new characters. Eric Bana did a good job as the evil one. The new twist was Uhura/Spock as there wasn't any of any of that in the original.

In the original it was all centered around Kirk hogging all the screen time, action, etc., which Spock, Bones and Scottie getting flunkie time to boost Kirk. While Kirk is the Captain of the Enterprise, I don't think they needed to push Kirk to the forefront of everything as in the original stuff. I think that Petard(sp) was a better captain in one of the spin-offs.

But all in all, I think they have a good foundation here for carrying on more Star Trek films, or whatever. It is a good storyline as the original and spin-offs have shown, one that the public seems to enjoy. There is plenty of opportunity for sequels. It would be easy to bring back the Romulan ship as there are always lots of stories to be made up over the black hole and what would happen when they passed on...

We go to movies to be entertained, and it was entertaining. It had something new, something old, etc.