Thread: 64-Bit Linux Optimized App for AMD users

64-Bit Linux Optimized App for AMD users

Hello All,

For those of you using the 64-bit Linux platform, I've re-compiled the default app with Open64 v4.2.2 that has AMD's new optimizations. Needless to say, it get's us to within 5% of Intel Core 2 - Integer Operation performance. Here's the thread from Enigma@Home.

Mike D's 64-bit optimized app thread

For those of you on the 64-bit Linux platform, it should be an easy way to boost your team score.

The Open64 32-bit app isn't any faster than TJM's Intel Pentium3 app he compiled, but if you have the itch to try it, go right ahead.....

Mike Doerner
    Last edited by mdoerner; 05-22-2009 at 03:19 AM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    This is really cool! Thanks for the heads up mdoerner.

It would be great if this work could be merged into the project. Enigma doesn't have an "official" 64bit app (or at least not one that shows on the apps page)

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    This is really cool! Thanks for the heads up mdoerner.

It would be great if this work could be merged into the project. Enigma doesn't have an "official" 64bit app (or at least not one that shows on the apps page)
    I think the problem has been not just identifying the processor, but also whether there's a 64-bit or 32-bit OS (easy on Windows, not easy on Linux.)

Besides, the project admin made the optimized code available for those that can copy and paste the correct files into the project directory. That I think is easier for them compared to making scripts to determine which app goes where....FWIW. That, and the 1st 2 ciphers were broken so long ago, I don't think they thought the 3rd cipher would take anywhere near this long to break.

Mike Doerner
    Last edited by mdoerner; 05-22-2009 at 12:50 PM.

I compiled this right after Open64 v4.2.2-1 came out (v4.2.2-2 should be out in June according to AMD.) Anyhoo, my RAC was around 1775 with my old gcc 4.3.2 compiled 64-bit app, with Open64 64-bit is starting to peak at around 2330 RAC. Here's the graph for giggles.......the only change on my system is I've gone from 3.05GHZ to 3.10GHz (I can get 3.2GHZ stable in 32-bit OS, but not in 64-bit OS w/o pushing the voltage beyond 1.45V). The frequency change only accounts for about 40 seconds less time compared to the other clock rate on the small tasks.

Last edited by mdoerner; 05-22-2009 at 05:17 PM.