Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tug's Uptime Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

Tug's Uptime Project

Hey guys

Who in here likes uptime counting projects?

If anyone is wondering what uptime counting is, it's simply counting how much time your computer(s) can run for without a reboot or shut down. Crunching folks like ourselves tend to leave the computers running for months on end without even a reboot. (as long as it's not running Windows )

This generates a wealth of stats data, like who keeps their machines running for the longest time, what is the more stable OS, etc.

There used to be a really good uptime counting project a few years ago, that our Team was in for the last few years of its life, but alas, as it grew largely beyond the expectations and become complicate to maintain within the little free time and resources it's founders had, it was shut down.

But now a new offspring is born, and altough it's still in its infancy it has been demostrating quite good results already. I am talking about Tug's Uptime Project, (www.uptimeprj.com)

I have been running this for a while and it is quite good. My uptime is at almost a month already. There are clients for a wide range of OS'es on the download section, there's individual and team ranking tables (we're ranked #12), and our Team is already created there(http://team.uptimeprj.com/162/en/)

If anyone's interested, do join and apply for our Team. In this project people have to apply for teams, and the team founder accept them in. It's not common, I know, but don't worry, I am the team founder and I regularly check our team there to see if anyone new applied.

actually my vps is the teams number one computer. hurray. But i have a problem with my main-pc.

It's a very cool project and i love it.
    Linux is like a wigwam. No windows. No gates. Apache inside. http://debian.org

Forum Created.

Site Admin
    Well... I've broken my all time record of keeping my daily work machine with Windows running for over 30 days! Every extra hour I can get this machine running without crashing just adds up to my personal record.

Got to be very careful here... windows is very sensible... one wrong click and I may just get a blue screen!

P.S.: We raised one position since my initial post, we're ranked #11 now!

Site Admin
    Liuqyn, how can you keep Windows running without crashing for over 2 months? What kind of sorcery is that?

I'm happily going for over 40 days now, and for several times I had problems that almost made me reboot, but I managed to solve them in the last moment.
    Driver issues are the worst... even plugging something on a USB port like a headset may cause windows to look for drivers and then want to reboot after, simply because I plugged it in the "wrong" port. (It has to be always the same exact port, or otherwise it reinstalls drivers)

whats more amazing is that it's my media server with nearly 20Tb storage capacity that feeds video to 5 HTPCs and other desktops, also we use remote desktop to do video converting on it as well as running boinc 24/7. ironically, I'm waiting for it to go down so I can add some more ram that I bought for it almost 2 months ago.

ugggg... had a network switch quit while I was on the road, when the "family" couldn't reach my media server they rebooted it thinking that would fix the problem, so much for my nearly 3 months uptime on this box.

ps. replaced the switch and all was good again.

Site Admin
    So far on our team you are the record holder of the longest uptime for a windows machine Liuqyn.

Now if I can only hold on for just one more month I'll break your windows uptime record.

you better hold on tight, as I will be back....

Site Admin
    Aaaaaarrgh!!!

Windows explorer completely crashed on me without chance of recovery... The computer was unusable, I had to do a reboot.

My all time uptime record stays at 1 month and 27 days.

The windows uptime record remains in your hands Liuqyn, but I'll be back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast