Thread: Done with Ibercivis

Done with Ibercivis

This has been the most unpredictable, unforgiving project I have ever crunched. I have had my system lock up repetitively and caused me great nervous fits trying to figure out how to get the stinking WU's out of my system when it did lockup. Geez what a project. Headaches, nerves are shot, frazzled anxiety, I am overwlemed I made it to 25,000.

Finally after nudging there admins who emailed me because there system and mine would not cooperate [ My system downloaded 6,000 of there WU's over night one day ]. I detached and they emailed me to ask why, I said your admins need to make an effort to change the parameters so this does not happen on every system I own. Then of course this became a pissing match. I survived but, I reached my goal of 25,000 and I am not touching that project again even if you pay me! There RANT over...

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

well, you lasted longer then I did. I haven't even made it to 10k yet.

Well, it didn't help that for the longest time they had a mess of a website to navigate which was only available in Spanish. Now, the site is "colorful" and available in English, but won't allow me to view my completed workunits. I'm not sure it's feasible to try and reach 100k on this project...
    Last edited by sentient_life; 07-28-2009 at 04:44 AM.

Oh what a wonderful turn of phrase you use Nflight. It made me have a hearty laugh.

Looks like I'm not the only person who grizzles about Ibercivis. I was trying to run it on my trusty old Athlon XP2800+ and had tasks that ran for 24 hours and then #$@% gave a 'computation error'.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    I have found that the most reliable way to work with IBERCIVIS is to run it as a second project. Note 'second' not 'backup'.

If you have multiple CPUs and another project is running at the same time then mostly it behaves as normal. In fact I only get issues where I have to reset the project to get work units after their server has decided that my d/l rate is too low - which irritates me because I can do a d/l test on a server near to their location and get a reading about 10 to 100 times the rate that their server says.

Single CPU boxen I have not had any problem with.

Hmm. But then I have selected to run a single sub-project.

There is a side issue ... say you have just completed a batch of their big Wu's from one sub project and the completion time is measured in many hours and then their server offers up some work from a sub-project that happens to have hit a purple patch of short Wus measured in minutes. Yes, then I did get hundreds of WUs.

I theorised that this was because BOINC handles all of IBERCIVIS as one project even though they are runing multiple sub-projects and the estimates would be completely thrown asunder.

Thats when I started picking one sub-project at a time.

I could have sworn I'd mentioned this somewhere, but it could have been in a PM or an email.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------