Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got a new rig!

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

got a new rig!

It is with great sadness that I announce that my trusty old Athlon XP 2000+ has passed away yesterday... autopsy revealed that it died of natural causes (motherboard failure) due to advanced age.

But now for the good news, for its place I acquired parts and built a brand new AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition (+ mobo, + ram, etc...) and so, a new member to the family has arrived.

Forgive me though, for I have sinned, and also bought a Nvidia gfx card (instead of ATI), the cuda temptation was just too much and I wanted to give it a try. I had to control the budget so I went for a Geforce 9600 GT, which should be good enough to learn and play with cuda at least.

So, the final specs are:
    Mobo: Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
    4GB DDR3 1333MHZ
    XFX Geforce 9600 GT w/ 512Mb

I haven't even quite finished setting it up yet, but I couldn't resist giving it a spin, so I just slapped WinXP real quick on it to see and it's working great at first glance.
    I will try some stability stress tests and OC'ing during the next few days. I don't even have boinc or anything else installed yet. :p

got a new rig!

Oh Boy, Do I ever want to upgrade now. I can feel the sensation when I eat a Peppermint Patty and that tingly sensation is sending my thoughts into last place in crunching ever farther. Damn I need to upgrade, soon my good friends soon!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Nice machine you've built there NeoGen. You'll need to put it through its paces in readiness for the next race.

I too recall the sad day my Athlon 2000+ passed away. It also had a mobo failure; the power supply did something to the plug on the mobo and the PC went down. At autopsy the connection was burnt and beyond salvage.

Good Motherboard!
    sounds like more competition for future races :D

if I do any upgrades on my personal computer in the near future, I'll probably get the 940.. about the fastest AM2+ that will utilize all my motherboard features... I could run up to a 955, but it would have to "dumb down" for my board :/
    If you can't make it ... Don't come!
    http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest2007/race4b.htm

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Once I set everything up I also have to dig through those tutorials online on how to unlock the possible 4th core.

Looks great NeoGen. I could use an upgrade right about now.

Congrats on the new system!!

is it stable? i think the 3rd core on my 710 is bad. i can crunch forever on 2 cores, but it always BSODs on 3 even with temps lower than running on 2 cores with the previous AMD HSFs (9550 and 710's) after getting a zalman 8700... (56C on 2 cores; 52C on 3 cores with the new zalman fan). not sure how to deal with the processing loss. might have to get a phenom ii based X2 when they come down a bit. i DO have a year or two left to do the retail warranty exchange...

When I upgraded to my current i7-920 setup I really wanted to get an ATI card but CUDA just couldn't be overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    Once I set everything up I also have to dig through those tutorials online on how to unlock the possible 4th core.
    how much was the 710? I think you should have gone with the 550. that is super stable with 4 cores, and was only $99 for a AM3 cpu!!

I would suggest getting the latest bios update from Gigabyte

I unlocked the 550 using the same mobo with the "F4" version. (5/21/2009)

hope that helps!

edit: remember that you need to enable the hybrid setting in the BOIS to unlock.
    If you can't make it ... Don't come!
    http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest2007/race4b.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast