Thread: Aqua@home Returns

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin

Aqua@home Returns

Great news for the Aqua@home members.

Aqua returns.

The D-Wave Systems Inc. project team have done a lot of homework and testing to rebuild the client and it shows.

1st point to note, there is no CUDA client yet, and there may not be as it was discovered that in many cases the multi-threaded client on multi-core CPU machines was out-performing the CUDA client. However, given the work that has been put into the new client, we may hear more of further testing in the future.

2nd point to note, I believe the client is still for multi-core machines only, so single core machines will likely not get any work.

Now for the details.

The client and the work units are tiny in comparison to the previous version. The download is quick and low on the bandwidth (great news for me).

The client works smartly right off the mark and applies itself across the cores, as before. However, now that BOINC client version 6.6.40 is available, we no longer have the issue of the client starting the next work unit before the previous multi-threaded Wu has finished (which really slowed everything down and defeated the purpose of the multi-threading).

On a Phenom 9750 the work unit is completing in about 6 minutes (4 cores) and giving a return of about 9 credits. Looking closely, the Run Time and the CPU time are being very accurately recorded and the result is about 3.1 credits per core per 10 minutes (I prefer to measure all my CPUs and work units on this basis). So, this is slightly better than average - many projects are rewarding at about 2.0 credits per core per 10 minutes. This should put the credit awarding arguments to bed for good.

The initial "Completion Time" estimate is between 3 to 4 hours and is declining smartly.

In summary, they have put in some hard work and done a terrific job to come back with such a lean and mean client. Coupled with the latest stable version of the BOINC client (6.6.40) you can't go wrong.

Welcome back Aqua@home!
    Last edited by AMDave; 10-09-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spellcheck
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Site Admin
    Further info from the current thread on aqua@home:
    http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.php?id=334#4706

To ensure CPU work is requested immediately, use these settings:
    Aqua: Y
    Cuda: N
    Accept Other: N

This will ensure that your client asks for CPU work and not GPU work (of which there is none) and you will get work sooner.

Also, the work unit size is increasing quite quickly.
    For my last WU
    Run Time - 1,254.02 seconds
    CPU Time - 4,401.23 seconds
    Granted credit = 16.99
    Last edited by AMDave; 10-10-2009 at 01:24 AM.
    . . . . . ___

Site Admin
    Another observation:

If you did not detach and re-attach the old "Completion Time" estimate may still be in play.

This means that you may be starting these new short WUs with an estimate in the range of 400 hours. This may result in the WU switching to run in "High Priority" mode.

If you are only running Aqua, there is no issue, but if you are also running long work units from another project then the scheduler is going to take some time to sort itself out.
    . . . . . ___

Thanks for the heads up guys. I posted on Ars so we can get rolling again.

they're all outta work again.