Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: One Last Enigma@home burst? (project is ending the next 10-20 days)

Way to go plonk420 = 5,000,000 points accomplished...

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

ugh, if the cryptocurrency craze hadn't hit, i probably could get a decent cheap, power sipping GPU like the RX470 or 570 for $120 or so

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Some articles in the news say it's declining, so maybe later this year or the next prices will come down to an affordable value.
    On the other hand I can't wait for 7nm GPUs and CPUs to be launched

New News on the AMD 32 Core 64 Threads Threadripper 2: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...res,37215.html

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Site Admin
    Oh yes, I saw that too... that is going to be a BEAST! 32 cores, 64 threads, and 250W TDP

There will be a motherboard/chipset refresh but the CPU is socket compatible, it does not require a new motherboard if you already have a 1st Gen ThreadRipper, the only thing is those 250W ones may just run at spec or have limited overclocking on older motherboards because of the amount of power draw.

Those that invested in MSI (10+3 powerphases) or Asrock (11 powerphases) TR4 motherboards are in luck, it seems...
    Asus and Gigabyte (with their 8+2 powerphases) might be more of a problem when tied to a 250 Watt tdp CPU.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-07-2018 at 12:04 AM.

damn, my 7790 JUST died just before i was going to overtake Beerknurd! and no GCN2 cards pre-Dec 2014 with 900-1000 shader units for sale new (can't install drivers after that date on the machine it needs to go into)

it had a nice GPU cooler, too... :/

Last edited by plonk420; 06-19-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Died? What OS are you running? Win 10 has the nasty habit to replace the perfectly crunching AMD drivers with non-crunching Windows drivers,
    Ubuntu variants will only display video on the HD 7790 since version 18.04. For a fully working HD 7790 under Ubuntu you need a pre-version 16.04 Ubuntu.
    How do I know? Have one too:

But it might have crapped out like my HD 7750 once did: "I can not display resolution X x Y, over-and-out"
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-20-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Server 2007 R2... trust me, drivers are ok in this case. i can't install anything newer than 14.12 (i spent a few hours maybe a year or so ago installing 2-3 drivers per year to see if ANY would install, but none would, even with clean install selected when available) so those haven't changed.

the more telling thing is beep codes indicate a VGA issue (won't even post). and it DOES boot with an ancient GT9400 i had laying around (and fully operational with drivers installed).

still holding off reinstalling Windows, so i'm going GT730 w/GDDR5 and probably extending the warranty to 10 years as i didn't see any new 7000 or 200 series at Amazon or Newegg.

Site Admin
    Sorry to hear about your GPU. It's sad to see a good number cruncher go.
    I only remember having a GPU die on me once, and I kick myself for it every time I remember it. I was playing around with open computer case, tools and screws laid around and on top of it, while the machine was powered on and running. I needed to test a hard drive real quick but didn't want to power off, mount it, etc, so I took the quick route and tried to reach an empty SATA port with a cable deep in the case, but to reach it and plug it I had to use a screwdriver because I couldn't reach it with my fingers. In the blink of an eye my whole machine powered off right on the spot. And then I noticed the unthinkable, my screwdriver touched the back of the graphics card PCB which has those solder points all over, and it short-circuited it, effectively frying it.
    In retrospect I believe I was very lucky to have only lost the graphics card, I can imagine it going real bad in many different ways when electricity is in the mix... but I learned my lesson.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast