Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Radeon 5850's

This looks interesting. http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17158/1/

It would be cool to one day have a external rack of RAIG (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Graphic), as opposed to the RAID we already know about (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks)

Maybe using the new high speed USB 6.0 standard as communications transport between the RAIG and the pc platform would be a cool idea. This would remove the limiting number of PCIX slots per pc, wouldnt that be cool to have a stacked expandable array of GPU's. With these puppies external to the pc, alot of heat and power problems could be solved more easily.

it'll get there.................... Lol, you are just jumping the gun is all!!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellds View Post
    This looks interesting. http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17158/1/

... This would remove the limiting number of PCIX slots per pc, wouldnt that be cool to have a stacked expandable array of GPU's. With these puppies external to the pc, alot of heat and power problems could be solved more easily.
    Brilliant idea. The case seems to trap the heat generated by the CPU amd the GPUs inside; then you need fans to expel the heat so that makes more noise. Having a RAIG would be great.

Maybe we need to rename the site AMD and ATI Users.

My experience with the new XFX 5850 is that its more efficient at earning points than similarly priced Nvidia GPUs, it runs cooler and uses less power. That's a Win Win Win.

yup, the ATI cards are much more efficient than the Nvidia ones. Use less power. Nvidia writes better drivers though. :-) But ATI is improving. I've taken all my nvidia offline due to the power and heat issue. About all nvidia seems to be keeping up with ATI in now is price! LOL har har har........................... :-)

Vaughan stated a while back that we should be called AMD and ATI Users. Here is a link to a statement that says Moore's law is dead! Now moving on to GPU's for better computing in the years ahead.
    http://www.dailytech.com/NVIDIA+VP+D...ticle18279.htm I find the article humorous as the person who is writing it is seriously infatuated with Intel but, none the less it drives you back to this post that in our thinking some 9 months ago we were right in thinking that in the near future only GPU's will rain supreme. And since we know ATI is the better company with way better products we know who will rain supreme in the long run! muh ha ha

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

As with most things, it is all dependent on what your reference point is. If for instance you are talking RC5-72, then yes, ATI's reign supreme, however you can say the same if you are talking folding@home as nvidia is the gpu card in that world. It's just like the old intel vs amd thing, when in reality it depends what you are working on as they each have their strengths and weaknesses. So really, one needs to qualify what one gpu is better at since neither one is better at everything just like with cpu's. :-)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234