Thread: Most Powerful Supercomputer in the World Powered by the Six-Core AMD Opteron Process

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

Most Powerful Supercomputer in the World Powered by the Six-Core AMD Opteron Process

Portland, OR --11/16/2009 The Six-Core AMD Opteron™ processor-based system "Jaguar" is the world's supreme supercomputer according to the TOP500 Organization, which today released its bi-annual list of the highest performing systems in the world. This mission-critical Cray XT5™ system at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) was recently upgraded from quad- to Six-Core AMD Opteron processors and delivers 2.3 petaflop/s theoretical peak performance and 1.75 petaflop/s performance on the Linpack benchmark.

• AMD continues its solid leadership in supercomputing, with 4 of the Top 5 systems depending on AMD for record-setting performance including another recently upgraded Cray XT5 system "Kraken."
    • AMD is leading the way forward with ultra high performance heterogeneous systems, including
      • the #5 system "Tianhe-1" in China, which is the fastest and one of the first world-class implementations of a system architecture based on ATI Stream technology, achieving 563.1 teraflop/s performance with 5,120 ATI GPUs based on the RV770 architecture;
      • and the former #1 system "Roadrunner" based on a dual CPU architecture including the AMD Opteron processor.

• While the Six-Core AMD Opteron processor is now the industry-leading CPU for supercomputing, in the first quarter of 2010, AMD plans to deliver HPC customers the world's first 8- and 12-core x86 processors, the AMD Opteron™ 6100 Series processor (codename "Magny-Cours") which is designed deliver up to a 100 percent increase in compute density and multi-threading capability as compared to its six-core predecessor, with 4 channels of DDR-3 memory and new power management and virtualization features.
    • Beyond that, in the same infrastructure, AMD plans to deliver yet another industry-changing advancement in 2011 with the completely new "Bulldozer" architecture featuring a modular core design that is planned to dramatically increase concurrency, simultaneous commands and multi-threading capacity with up to 16 dedicated cores, all designed to significantly improve HPC performance.

"We've seen the trend in the HPC industry's move to multi-core x86-based supercomputing and it's clear that the Six-Core AMD Opteron processor is the ideal choice right now for a world-class supercomputer," said Patrick Patla, vice president and general manager, Server/Workstation and Embedded Division, AMD. "Today, AMD also powers the world's highest performing system leveraging the incredible floating point capability of AMD GPUs and bringing the vision of ATI Stream technology to life. Our OEM customers and the global institutions engaged in cutting-edge research and industrial HPC understand that a truly balanced system helps advance their work and provide an upgrade path to the future."

Full article: http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases...2009nov16.aspx

great.... now I have to upgrade mine again :P

I'm holding off upgrading until my next nuclear plant comes online.

I wonder who changed all these cpu and what they did with the "damn old and slow" quad-core Opteron.

Well done AMD!!
    Linux is like a wigwam. No windows. No gates. Apache inside. http://debian.org

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    It says on the top500 website that the Jaguar uses 6950.60 kW (per hour I presume?).
    I'd hate to get their electricity bill.

Most Powerful Supercomputer in the World Powered by the Six-Core AMD Opteron Process

I have a friend around here who runs a Saw Mill they use 7 Megawatts of energy per hour. His Electric bill is approximately $275,000.oo per month!

Can You Say OUCH

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    It says on the top500 website that the Jaguar uses 6950.60 kW (per hour I presume?).
    I'd hate to get their electricity bill.
    The local (here where i live) university has also a supercomputer. It's not good enough for the top500.
    As I know they have some contracts with the local hot water supply company. The university gets cold water to cool there supercomputer and sends back the warm water.

So they don't save any electricity but they get a very cheap cooling. Electricity is only one little problem when you plan to build and run an supercomputer.

@nflight: I hope he can sell the wood to pay this bill. But anyway $275,000.oo per month!
    Linux is like a wigwam. No windows. No gates. Apache inside. http://debian.org