Thread: FurMark

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

FurMark

Has anyone tried out this furry little donut-shaped app for gpu stress-testing?

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

It's actually really good as a stress-testing tool, it turned up the heat on my geforce 9600 GT to temps I didn't think it would reach! And on top of that it showed plenty of artifacts during rendering at high temps which meant my OC'ing wasn't as stable as I thought it was.

Artifacts are things that pop up for just a split second, like black squares, white patches, or just dots like in this image:

I advise to anyone that has done gpu overclocking to try this out. It's free, and it may surprise you when you get it running. Remember that just because boinc doesn't complain (mine didn't!), it doesn't mean your gpu workunits are returning truly good results. (And this also applies for non-boinc projects ).

furmark. It's a great peace of software and i use it sometimes when I OC my GPU. The stability test with eXtreme mode. If this runs for a hour and the temps are still OK and no artefact showed up. Then you know that the settings are rockstable (or furstable ).
    Linux is like a wigwam. No windows. No gates. Apache inside. http://debian.org

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I had to lower my core and shaders clock because it was what was causing the artifacts on my tests.

But strangely I could increase the memory clock a long way without problems. The application that complained when I raised the memory clock too much was GPUGrid. The workunits crashed after a few minutes. I guess furmark is better suited to stress test the shaders, not the video memory.