Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team Top 10

Thumbs up Team Top 10

Well... It took me a bit of scrounging for parts, but with the big batches of Fokker_Planck wu's coming through, the temptation was more that I could bear. First I augmented my main desktop with a second machine running a 5600+ dualie that I resuscitated from a dead HP I had in the recycle bin. It's now running in an MSI K9N6PGM2-V with a 2GB upgrade, new PS and case and a really sweet Zalman CNPS7000C-Cu for the 24/7 duty. Kubuntu 9.04 64-bit went in smooth and now it's crunching Aqua FP's right nicely:

Alustriel's Stats @ Free-DC.org

Then I dug through the pile again and found an old Celery from another HP. It's still on the Top Deck because I haven't yet scrounged up a suitable case and the PS is a real P o' S. Kubuntu 9.04 again, this time IA32 variety, and Aqua FP's are providing the burn in:

Mystra's Stats @ Free-DC.org

Now I'm draining the pool to the tune of 20k+ points/day and just pushed into the Team Top 10

Not bad for 5 cores WAAAY off the leading edge...
    "Then I remembered my grandmother and realized, my God, the human mind can absorb and process an incredible amount of information - if it comes in the right format. The right interface. If you put the right face on it. Want some coffee?" - Juanita Marquez; Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

keep it up and maybe one day soon I'll have to fire back up just to hold you off.

that is unless vaughan forces me too sooner...
    Last edited by liuqyn; 03-14-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Nah... I'm no threat. But I'll tell ya who is really impressing.

G.L.I.S.

Whoa, now that is some ramp!

Keepin' that 810 (and it's GPU) fed is going to be challenging...
    "Then I remembered my grandmother and realized, my God, the human mind can absorb and process an incredible amount of information - if it comes in the right format. The right interface. If you put the right face on it. Want some coffee?" - Juanita Marquez; Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by liuqyn View Post
    keep it up and maybe one day soon I'll have to fire back up just to hold you off.

Oops ... you noticed.

Projects

Which projects are Team AMD currently focused on??

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Pretty much all of the active projects although we have a bit of a run going on here and there ;)
    Which projects are you most interested in?
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

PrimeGrid has a challenge on right now for PSP/SOB Sieving, they are easy lightweight (short) tasks. Initial one time only download is approx 10MB.

Aqua and QuantumFire are both rewarding with big points for CPU users.

Naturally the GPU projects reward well too: Collatz, MilkyWay, PrimeGrid AP26 and Seti & SetiBeta when they are on-line.

you forgot GPU Grid, but be ready for high bandwidth usage.

Quote Originally Posted by liuqyn View Post
    I think that he just took you up on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Aqua and QuantumFire are both rewarding with big points for CPU users.
    Just a note on the Points o' Credit issue with Aqua; the Fokker_Planck wu's are much more reasonable for dual-core machines:

1) They pay well (points per compute minute)
    Depending on your processor clock rate and whether you are running a 64-bit OS, the points per compute minute can be really excellent. As an example, my main machine is running Win XP on a 5400+ Black clocked @ 3.3Ghz and is NOT a totally dedicated tasker; it manages to score almost 7 points per compute minute with FP wu's. I'm lucky to get 2.6 ppcm out of it with the 32-bit Aqua MT wu's. My 'new' recycled 5600+ 2.8Ghz dedicated cruncher running 64-bit Kubuntu WALKS ALL OVER my main machine with almost 11 ppcm; even though it is running at a lower clock rate (I believe that 64-bit vs. 32-bit is the main component difference, although the 5600+ also has larger L2 cache @ 1MB/core)

2) They execute relatively quickly
    Again on my main machine, an FP wu will usually take about 40 minutes to complete; on the cruncher that comes down to about 26 minutes. On the 2Ghz Celery [32-bit Single Core], run time goes up to a 'whopping' 190 minutes. As a reference point, an Aqua MT wu on my main machine can take something in the order of 4,800 minutes (80 Hours) to complete. The longer it takes, the more things can happen to disrupt the work (or worse, cause a complete scrub, with the work lost).

3) They don't tie up the machine
    Aqua@home has had issues with checkpointing, suspension and restarting of wu's not behaving very well. Ditto with not playing well with others wrt sharing cores and releasing cores at switch times to other BOINC tasks. This pretty much means that to be successful running Aqua wu's, you should not be running other projects simultaneously. It also means, you should run Aqua wu's from start to completion uninterrupted. That said, the FP wu's don't tie up a machine for days at a time, which is usually a GOOD thing.

That's why I love 'em...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast