Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: boinc stuff

boinc stuff

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    BOINC version is 6.10.18 and it persistently displays a message box:
    Communicating with BOINC client. Please wait ...
    Exit BOINC Manager or Cancel

How do I stop this annoying message from popping up and interrupting anything I try to do?
    Be patient is all I can say, It takes a few moments and then it will stop. Seems your pushing the page limit with the amount of workunits you have downloaded and have in your queue. When this happens that little popup occurs, Don't Exit BOINC Manager and Don't Cancel.!!! Just hang on while it gets through and it will go back to crunching. For the past 2 years I have endured this troublesome little popup. Only if you are pushing your system to the max does it occur. Having only 2 processors per computer, and only 2 gigs of RAM you can well bet I am struggling...

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Unfortunately Vaughan I can't give you any answer to your question since I'm still trying to figure out the basic stuff here. :-)

And Nflight, there's lots of flaws..... LOL Like one that sorta stands out to me is that you can't assign processors/gpus to specific projects.... Say you are attached to a couple projects, and you want the gpu running collatz for instance, and and you want the cpu's crunching on the second project. Now I may be blind, but it appears that you can only have one computer system w/gpu crunching on one project at a time where the gpu is dedicated to something and the cpu's something else. I know you can direct time percentages to go to multiple projects and have the cpu/gpu cycle through those, but you can't dedicate the cpu/gpu independently to separate dedicated efforts. Now hopefully I'm wrong................................ ?????

Brucifer you can assign your GPU to one project and the CPU to another by going to the project. Locate the project preferences page eg at Primegrid I wanted to run AP26 tasks on my GPU so I set my preference for HOME as CPU unchecked and GPU checked, further down I only checked the run AP26 project, save and exit.

Then, on your BOINC Manager enable PrimeGrid and it will run the AP26 tasks not other tasks. (I assume you have already downloaded and installed the CUDA driver.)

Now in BOINC Manager select another project, say Rosetta for example and enable it. BOINC will download tasks for that project.

If you want to be very fancy in Primegrid once you have configured the machine to get AP26 tasks for the GPU you can change the computer's location once again from the PG website under youraccount, your computers so that it is now WORK or SCHOOL instead of HOME. You could setup WORK to be one of the Sieving sub-projects and SCHOOL could be one of the LLR sub-projects. Check the use CPU box in the preferences. Now when you download new work on the machine it will grab the CPU tasks. This means you will have two (or more) sub-projects running on the computer - GPU and CPU tasks.

This is one of the reasons that Primegrid is so popular.
    Last edited by vaughan; 03-29-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Add: Check the use CPU box in the preferences

This is one of the reasons that Primegrid is so popular.
    LOL, silly me, and here I was thinking it was popular because people were in love with the *science* of the project.

Yup, I got to thinking of what you were talking about after I made the earlier posting. It's been several years since I was on the beta testing for boinc so a lot has faded from the brain. I imagine that it will come back though.

At the moment I'm going through another upgrade cycle on another system to get the .NET Framework stuff installed so I can get another box on the Collatz stuff. I had left it crunching rc5. However as I can't get my regular rc5 account moved over to the team, I decided that I'd just crunch collatz until the rc5 folks get their database issues resolved. Unfortunately, if I am not *real* careful, the dark side just might grab me and I might just keep crunching some boinc stuff.

I don't have a bunch of systems online now days though. Twas getting a bit on the expensive side, so a while back I had just knocked it down to a few systems that had gpu's installed in them. And with boinc, I don't really care to use the cpu's any more than I have to as it is just another way to burn more electricity and generate more heat. The spouse-arino is getting ready to retire in the not too distant future so I'm slowing down on my computing billz. The gpu's are cool as it makes a major difference in one's ability to do some serious crunching without having to have a big herd of computers running all the time.

So in my newfound mini-interest in a teensy bit of the boinc world, and out there looking at some statz, I see this team out there called Poor Boy's Toyz.... Is that what happened to Poor Boy that used to hang around here in times past????

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    So in my newfound mini-interest in a teensy bit of the boinc world, and out there looking at some statz, I see this team out there called Poor Boy's Toyz.... Is that what happened to Poor Boy that used to hang around here in times past????
    Yes that's PoorBoy. He has done very well in the stats race in fact he's currently 4th in the world.

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=boincusers

Had a bit of a catastrophe as my ISP evidently was having connection problems this afternoon and evening, and that through the boinc manager into having fits cause then I couldn't get it to reconnect to anything. Kept saying to set a default connection, but it wouldn't recognize anything and yet the browzer and all was working fine on the net........ Ended up having to reset the project on all but one of the systems. So after playing with the network and getting stuff switched over to the other ISP connection half of the systems are back crunching collatz. Whata PITA.

Yes that's PoorBoy. He has done very well in the stats race in fact he's currently 4th in the world.

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=boincusers

So is he one of the corporate crunchers? Or just a simple little super wealthy boy with a couple barns full of air conditioning and computers??? I mean if he is #4 in the world then we are talking some massive horsepower there.

You could also join us in Einstein@home. The team has about 20 actively crunching there, and I've yet to run out of work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    So is he one of the corporate crunchers? Or just a simple little super wealthy boy with a couple barns full of air conditioning and computers??? I mean if he is #4 in the world then we are talking some massive horsepower there.
    Hi all, I'm neither Wealth nor Corporate, I've run BOINC for the last 7.5 years out of my home as a Hobby. With the advent of GPU Crunching it has allowed me to assemble an impressive arsenal of 14 GPU Crunching Box's that's able to Rival & even Surpass the Mega Corporate & Collage Crunchers.

I was a Member of the BOINCstats Team for awhile (1 Year) after leaving the AMD User's Team. But after some dissension on the BS Team over the use of GPU's for BOINC Processing & with the urging of some of the Former BS Team Members I made the decision to leave their Team after lifting them from a High 20's Team to a Top 10 Team.

When I left the BOINCstats Team 4 of the other Top 6 Members of the Team went with me and we Created the PBToyz Team which is very GPU Active and it has done quite well in it's 3.5 Month existence. We are already in the Top 25 in Combined Teams and moving up.

Oh and by the way I'm in 3'rd Combined now with my eyes set on 2'nd in 3-4 Weeks or less and then onward and upward to 1'st someday maybe ...
    Last edited by PoorBoy; 04-10-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast