Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling it quits

Calling it quits

Hey guys! Just thought I would stop in and post and let you guys know that I am calling it quits from both Ars and DC.

There have been some situations at Ars that have left me unhappy. As a result, I don't feel like it is a community that I want to be a part of any more. So I am leaving their Forum. At the same time, my wife has long been unhappy with my DC "hobby." (Maybe "habit" is a better term.) She understands upgrades to keep our machines purring along, but not for the sake of the crunch. That and with electricity rates going up again, it's just too much money. So I am pulling the plug.

Thanks for the fun times, and the keen competition!

More in depth in the Ars DC Arcana thread I started.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I'm sorry to hear leavitron, and I can only imagine how hard it must have been to make that decision.
    We are all here more for the pleasure of chatting, exchanging ideas, and having a good time, than actually for crunching numbers, when that is taken away I can understand how one might feel out of place.
    Remember, whatever happened at Ars, stays at Ars, you're always welcome here to us, feel free to post anytime, and keep in touch.

Good luck on that new hobby at CERT (Community Emergency Response Team). I don't really know what it is but I know you will be a valuable member to them as you were to the DC community.

Godspeed!

Thank you sir!

CERT is a product of CitizenCorps. The basic training is provided through the Red Cross, with advanced training coming from FEMA.

The primary point of CERT is to train citizens how to react in emergency situations. "Take care of yourself first" is pounded into you from the start. If you are able to take care of yourself and your family, you can then emerge from a disaster able to help others. If your neighborhood is leveled by an earthquake or tornado, chances are emergency services won't get there for some time. CERT trained individuals might be able to effectively rescue and save the lives of many in such situations.

I'm liking it a lot. And I am finding that I am doing well in the very limited bit I have been exposed to. I like it enough that I am going to take some of the advances courses and then look into a possible career change to Emergency Management.

Site Admin
    Emergency training is something everyone should know at least the basics. I might enroll in some of those classes one day. I've never been put in a real emergency situation, I have always been fortunate (and thankful to God) to have never even been on a car accident. Right now I can't even say that I would be calm enough to help myself in an emergency situation, let alone others. It's indeed something everyone should be prepared for.

Not calling it quits as far as DC goes, but am considering a move. I too don't like the way one of our long time friends and dedicated cruncher has been treated by the management over there. Not sure what I'm going to do at this point but I've always liked you guys and am predominantly an AMD / ATI user.

Regards/Beyond

Please feel free to hang out here! We have a pretty good group of guys here. You don't even have to crunch for us

Site Admin
    Yup, I second that. Although the forums have not been so active this year as they used to, we are still a good bunch here hanging out and having fun. And sometimes guys from Free-DC, Team Ninja, KWSN, and other teams come and join us for a chat or challenge us for a race. It's all in good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    Not calling it quits as far as DC goes, but am considering a move. I too don't like the way one of our long time friends and dedicated cruncher has been treated by the management over there. Not sure what I'm going to do at this point but I've always liked you guys and am predominantly an AMD / ATI user.

Regards/Beyond
    yup, that is an unfortunate turn of events over there. Read the thread over at FDC too. But whatever you decide to do the folks here would be happy to have you stop by and chat if that's what you want to do, or even welcome you into the crunching world if you care to throw any of your efforts this way. But it's sad to see the dissention over there and folks leaving and or quitting crunching. it's the friendly rivalry between the teams that keeps things interesting and provides many hours of entertainment and enjoyment. Take care, and good luck to you whatever you decide to do. :-)

Site Admin
    I just read in the Ars forums... leavitron is "officially dark" (shut down his machines).

I bet he's gonna feel a temperature difference tomorrow, without all the crunchers putting out heat.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    I just read in the Ars forums... leavitron is "officially dark" (shut down his machines).

I bet he's gonna feel a temperature difference tomorrow, without all the crunchers putting out heat.
    Oh yes! It's already 10 deg F cooler in the basement, easily.

I suppose I'm welcome to post here too, even though I am a Wintel whore?!?

Current setup:
    File server:
    Q9300 w/ GTX260

My workstation:
    Q6600 w/ 9600GSO

Wife's workstation:
    Q8300 using integrated (it's simpler that way, you just don't mess with the wife's machine)

Oldest son:
    Q6600 with 9600GSO

Next son:
    X3220 with 8600GT

Next son:
    Q6600 with 8600GT

Daughter:
    E4500 with 8600GT

Despite not crunching any more I am probably going to pick up a couple more video cards from Whizbang so that I can use the 8600GTs to help move the older systems I replaced. (Selling local on Craigslist.)

At any rate, thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast