Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling it quits

There's only one problem with quitting crunching............................ it really gets boring in a big hurry. :-) I've got fed up a few times and bored, and turned stuff off, got more bored, then turned some stuff back on. :-) So now I don't have anywhere near working away at crunching like I used to have. Mainly just some gpu's working away now. The electricity bill is much less than it used to be, and that has the wife pretty much contented now. She got a little concerned when I actually shut stuff down cause I guess I got a little too "lost". But I sure don't take this stuff anywhere near as serious as I used to, and also got myself a life. But I found that I enjoy playing with the computers too much to just totally quit. And I have to say now that I enjoy crunching again since I just do a limited amount now for fun. So enjoy the world, and there is life beyond crunching, and it is possible to crunch without going whole hog. So enjoy smelling the roses! :-) And yup, you are welcome to post here and shoot the bs with us. :-)

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by leavitron View Post
    I suppose I'm welcome to post here too, even though I am a Wintel whore?!?
    No problem with that!
    We are AMD Users but we are not blind. Intel does great processors too, and NVidia does great gfx cards as well. If you notice our Team description in every project we say that one doesn't have to have AMD products to be on the Team. But the most importat, that we shouldn't forget is that "...in the end all this is for a good cause."

Hello Leavitron LTNS; I am the renewable energy guru on the team. So with that in mind have you thought about replacing those DC kilowatts used with energy producing devices to reduce or eliminate your electric bill all together?

Oh and your welcome here anytime, no frills, and no harassment, just open conversation that soothes the DC craving stats we all can't live with out...sometimes, I think you understand!

Cheers

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

I sure am sorry to hear things went sour enough to get someone to quit crunching. I sure can understand the electric bill getting to big and how hard it is giving that money to greedy electric companies. I have been trying to get my electric bill down as well, but its hard shutting off good crunchers. It would be nice to get down to one 48 core AMD Opteron cruncher. I would also be glad to see a few more guys around the forum to keep things active. I hope to be here a while contributing to the World Community Grid projects for the good of humanity.

Best of luck with whatever you shall decide

Thanks again, guys!

Brucifer - I have a wife and 5 kids. I'm sure they can find enough stuff ti keep me busy! My oldest son starts high school this year. Oh crap, indeed!

Nflight - They don't do a LOT here towards renewable energy. My furnace, A/C, and water heater are about as efficient as I can get. I can't afford to add solar panels. This house isn't worth it anyway, since we're not staying here long-term. Thanks for the ideas, though.

Leavitron - you're welcome here. Maybe you can run some non-CPU intensive projects like DynaPing, FreeHal, WUProp and Whatpulse. Hey with the kids playing on the PCs you'll amass heaps of keystrokes and mouse clicks

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I wonder how leavitron has been doing lately... is the DC addiction too strong? Some of us hard core crunchers may have to check in rehab clinics to be able to fully stop.

Leavitron, are you still officially "dark" or did you leave a few machines on WhatPulse, DynaPing, etc?

You know how an alcoholic is? If he does not get more alcohol, he becomes terrible thirsty and get sick. May be he a drink, he feels better. It is so with us as have crunch for many, many years? Restless and does not know what to do with your hands and body? So after a few night and days you turn on your computer / computers and your world and yourself are so good again and you can breathe out with your hands where they are used too be.

I can only say that I myself the first time felt that something was taken as I always experienced and I continued as always sit in front of the screens. It has become a habit to check other forums (mainly train-forums) and on the Internet or otherwise. Now I have found back to AMDusers and it feels so good.

Lagu
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

I'm 100% dark, and seeing a big decrease in the electric bill over last year this time. My wife is happy. I'm keeping busy with other things, so not feeling "the itch."

yeah yeah yeah.................. :-) You are just crunching under another name. You've got the itch, urge, habit and are going through withdrawal pangs. Can't fool us hardcore crunchers. We've been there too. Everyone tries to quit at some point in the game. LOL BTDT :-)

It's like quitting smoking, it's a real bear. But I did manage to quit smoking 19 years ago................ but all I've been able to do with crunching is just slow it down. Still gotta get the daily fix..................

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast