Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Calling it quits

So I lay in the sack last night with the A/C cycling on and off, pretty rapidly, sucking down that electricity. It is warming up again. So this evening I decided to pull the plug on the systems. Wife is getting ready to retire. We have a trip coming up. So it's time to get out of the multi-hundred dollar electricity bill and take up a new habit and follow Leavitron's footsteps. Sure gets quiet with all those systems turned off..... almost scary......... lol

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    It has been getting much cooler in my neck of the woods.
    Back to CPU intensive work 24/7 this last couple of weeks and thankful for the added warmth.
    Down to 3 boxen this winter so it won't be as warm as last winter.

Enjoy the trip. Warm the toes in the sun and save the bucks for winter when you can crunch like mad and heat the house at the same time
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

My One system failed on me right in front of me just as I was about to run Dnetc. I have been down to one system now for the last 3 days. The basement humidity level rose to astronomical 65% and I feel that was the cause, just not expecting such silence!

I too the time to turn everything off for a moment and went out and watched the meter spin, round and round she went. Ever so slowly I thought. Now that the old system which the pwr supply failed on me has returned I will be watching the meter once again. This time ladies and gentlemen when you look at the meter, and everything is in the on position I really need to find ways to reduce the energy demands. (Spinning so fast I can't read the disk and what it says on it = that is bad, really bad)

First off I need a good income to afford these solutions but my concept is to use the continuing heat release of my systems to generate enough heat year round to potentially power about 20% of the computers needs. An additional source of energy will come from mother nature and the location where I live!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Good read your comment Nflight. Did you run your computer day and night or only on daylight?

Today I read about a owner of a sawmill a few miles from Sundsvall. He was talking about the adavnathe of a wind power stations as was planned to be build on a wery high hill and many could buy percentage chares on that project. The owner was one of them and he said the electry meter was spinning so fast he could use it as a sawblade (round as they use).

Lagu
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

Just get some water blocks/pump and a storage tank for supplying your hot water heater with warm water. Its not the same as solar hot water, but it does help me lower my gas bill when it comes to the domestic hot water portion. I am getting my water up to 108F entering the tankless water heater. This is warm enough for a shower without turning the water heater on. I currently have 5 CPU(4quads and one dual) crunching to heat the water. If I wasn't dumping a large chunk of heat this way it would be very hard to keep them on in the hot summer months. I can see how the extra heat could drive you guys to shutting them off as the A/C fights the extra heat and the pocket book.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123