Thread: How have AMDusers been the most quitest.......?

How have AMDusers been the most quitest.......?

Hello members!

Any as remember me? I stopped run DC project some years back and now I have discovered the new AMDusers forum as I think is great. I have stepped in here for 3-4 days now and there is not the good old day’s daily traffic from you and other members. Vaughan and Neogen have been aware I have sent some messages and sent an answer.

But how have our flower Amdusers forum been so quiet? It is very frightening and very tedious se our once a time so proudly forum as was so full of life and now it is as a flower droop in the dry.

We feel proud because everyone of us are a member of AMDusers as peoples turn their hope to become a part of our friendly family and want to run with us. But how will it go if we don’t is on the alert? If old or new members are pondering and have a question and the answer takes days to receive? Did they turn their face to another forum?

Yes, I know so well, the Distributed Computing isn’t what we are used to since years back. All have been more expansive, a few have stopped run their computers and some have stopped because of the family as always is in the forefront.

And I have checked members lounge and what can we see there? Yes new projects nearly the whole way. Where is all talk about computers, memory’s, speed or any other technical talk? When was the last year or date any had a photo of his rig and proudly told us how he had bought and now was able build his own computer? Questions and answers to the right and to the left?? Perhaps the forum may be more attractive if more different things than only project should ne discussed. AMD and Intel with 4-6 cores can’t be so uninteresting yet?

Have the GPU phenomenon go so great advantage so no other is of little interest. I have been away and now my eyes are fresher and I perhaps see more than you as have been online for years.

One thing: how guard this forum? Are the site checked every day? I used to check it when I am online against spam posting for example.

I know you know but I say it once again, you are the FORUM and this flower will be as you water it. Dead or alive.

Kind regards
    Lagu (as will come back now and then)
    Last edited by Lagu; 05-31-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

Hi Lagu,
    Welcome back. I'm still here doing the stats. I'm finding life too busy to get online here very often. This is my first post in at least 2 weeks.
    Just found that Neo is up to his old tricks and finding stats not updating.... hi Neo......keep it up.
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

It's not just here Lagu. Things are pretty quiet on most all of the old big name distributed computing team forums. And it's been a pretty gradual process, but has occurred during the economic slow-down. Most people have other places they need to put their money than into buying new computers and equipment. And there has been a change in a lot of the business world too as many now do not allow their employees to use their work computers for non-company purposes like running distributed computing projects. That stuff adds up electrical costs. Like a lot of other things in this new world, I don't think we will see a lot of the old stuff returning any time soon. It would be nice if tons of users would start posting on all the forums again, but somehow I just don't see it really happening really.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Hey Lagu!

I'm still here almost every day, and have been working hard on the AMD Users Wiki. (check my blog here on AMD Users )
    The last 4 days I was away on a long holiday weekend, Memorial Day in the USA. By the way, Lagu, did you know that I am now in the USA? That's right, I got married and am living in the peaceful state of Arkansas, in the USA. Alot has happened since the last time you were online. lol
    I still have to assemble my Phenom II X3 back together, I disassembled it and brought it with me to the USA, but haven't had the time and patience to put it back together and working.
    Great to hear from you Lagu, and I hope you keep showing up often again now!

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagu View Post
    One thing: how guard this forum? Are the site checked every day? I used to check it when I am online against spam posting for example.
    The forum is much better guarded now, Jeff installed a spam protection on it that blocks spammers from registering. And a few weeks ago I banned dozens of unwanted spammers that were here from the past. So now we should be running very good.

I have been noticing one or two that seem to be spammers but they are not yet identified by the StopForumSpam databases, and they have been quiet for now, so I left them alone for now.

I am a new member but make you sure that i will be here to help every AMD problem facing guy..

Yes Brucifer, Here in Sweden was a system administrator who was fired because he ran SETI on his employer’s computer. It happened recently. How the company discovered that their
    employee leveraged the company’s computer, I don’t know. If they were several system administrators’ maybe someone had squealed. It has been illegal run Distributed Computing since many years now. It is most entrepreneurs who run DC on their own servers.

Lagu
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

not much been going on with the projects i'm interested in (fighting cancer and BURP (creative commons cg/animations via blender)).

i wish GPUs were being used on big, longterm BOINC medical projects, but i'm not in a place to be one of the many yammering voices requesting the ability . i took one look at a Pi calculator. then looked at how GPU programming SHOULD be done (tons of parallel threads or other methods). and ran away terrified.

just keeping on keeping on on my projects, i guess.

i'm glad there's not much tech of interest coming out soon (at least that *i* can afford), tho i'm looking forward to oLED (and LED lighting).

what interests you, Lagu?