Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer 9 & Safari 5

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

Internet Explorer 9 & Safari 5

The browsers war seems to be still going strong... I picked up this link on our left side RSS feed

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/08/ie9...8TechCrunch%29

Talking about hardware accelerated browsers, one thing comes to mind... I remember I couldn't play a 3D demanding video game if BOINC was processing any GPU workunits or they would crash... What happens when IE9 rolls out, using GPU for rendering the websites? Can't browse and crunch at the same time?

I stopped using IE long ago and don't regret. I used 7 version on the pc of my frined, and it was terrible in comparison with other browsers (I currently use Mozilla Firefox and Opera). I'm not sure that 9th version is much better.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Welcome to the forums Maxi86

I am a happy Firefox 4 user myself but I have been trying out this new IE9 lately. The blunt truth is that it doesn't make a slow net connection look any faster... I have 1.5Mbps DSL and with IE9 or any other browser it's still slow. lol
    But indeed, IE9 does show speed and fluid animations on websites, on machines that can take advantage of the GPU acceleration. I tried it on one netbook that didn't have such capability and it presented itself as slow as usually is. But you can see the difference of the GPU acceleration, especially on those test sites created by microsoft, where they put some really fast paced animations running.

But I have not tried to browse heavy animated sites and crunch at the same time yet... I will try that someday, but right now I don't wanna risk crashing perfectly good BURP workunits.

I too hawe Mozilla Firefox 4 and it seems load homepages and pages faster than IE9.

Lagu
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    I am very impressed by IE9.
    COUGH COUGH. There I said it.
    Compared to previous versions by MS it kicks a$$.
    The developer features for debugging are brilliant.
    Although I use Chromium for debugging at home (linux) and at work (Windows) - IE9 doesn't do crossplatform

I do have Safari on the laptop but Firefox is the primary browser.
    Safari gets exercised occasionally for browser testing web pages.

Although I mostly use Chromium I have to admit there are some prevailing annoying bugs that have not been knocked out yet.
    It looks like they have been knocked out of Chrome but Chrome usage tracking ruined my search profile and forced me to use Advanced search until I dropped it completely.
    I know there are options to turn that off, but I didn't know about them at the time.

For browser testing, on my Linux workstation I use: Chromium, Firefox, Arora, Epiphany, Seamonkey, Opera, Midori
    and on my Win7 laptop I use: Chromium, Firefox, Chrome, IE9 (32bit), IE9 (64bit), Safari
    (Max even got me to start using links & Elinks again.

Because of the minor hassles in Chromium and my need for cross-platform use, I am starting to use Firefox a lot more again. It is good since it now keeps up with Chrom(e|ium)

The latest versions of all of the mainstream browsers are terrific.
    Some of the lesser known Linux browsers are terrible at rendering and processing javascript but are more feature rich and standards compliance focused.
    None of them are included in this analysis though: http://www.webdevout.net/browser-support (scroll down to see the tables)

I'll try using Safari some more.

There's a huge number of browsers available now
    I just heard about some Dillo uptake today.
    I'll take that for a spin soon too.
    Last edited by AMDave; 08-21-2011 at 06:03 AM. Reason: fixed a link
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

I just can't get into the MS browser stuff. Tired of MS always trying to cram $hit down your throat, besides the obvious security hassles of MS. In fact the ONLY reason I run any MS at all is because of GPU crunching as the linux gpu drivers just aren't as efficient as the windows ones. So my browsers of choice are SeaMonkey and FireFox. I do have Safari on one system though. However, Apple seems to be trying to follow in MS's footsteps in the cramming department as they are sure trying to shove the "Cloud" up everyones a$$.... just sayin....

I have been using Google Chrome since it came out... I am definitely a fan.

Just have been force-fed FireFox6 on my Athlon single-core

ya, you have to go in and set the toggle so that it doesn't automatically do that. I prefer to wait a while on upgrades until there is time for the problems to appear and be corrected. Just a carry over from my network admin days where I learned the hard way that progress isn't necessarily a good thing. lol

I remember a company that still used MS-Dos 6.23 on 9/11, they were not so very keen to be in the forefront either

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast