Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with new Boinc client

Problem with new Boinc client

Hi guys. I have a question. Just upgraded to linux 10.4 and uphraded to the new Boinc client 6.10.17,
    but since then I can only run Wu.s with one core. I have updated the set up and was working prior with 2 core. Any Ideas, any solutions?

Thanks

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I don't know if the linux boinc manager is equal to the windows one, but in the menu Advanced->Preferences->Processor Usage you can set "On multiprocessor systems use at least xx% of the processors."
    If that is less than 100% then it will not use all the cores available.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    I have held back upgrading to 10.4 due to a couple of outstanding issues.
    Still using 9.10 for a couple of apps that I just cannot do without on a regular basis which do not yet work well on 10.4.

I recall using BOINC 6.10.17 briefly, without any marked problems, but that was superceded quite quickly a long time ago.
    That version did have some known bugs.
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/VersionHistory

I have not caught up to the latest and greatest version 6.10.56 yet ... been quite busy with other things lately, unfortunately.

I have been using 6.10.45 for ages now and fully recommend that you wipe your BOINC 6.10.17 install and install a newer version from scratch.
    If you are using the 'official' ubuntu/debian repository version of BOINC then I cannot help you.
    I stopped using that years ago because they cannot keep up with the version changes.

I fully recommend that you use the downloadable version direct from the BOINC download site.
    All of the versions, old and new, are available here:
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/

EDIT - but you should use this page to select your version http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php - EDIT
    Last edited by AMDave; 06-15-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Thank you Dave, I will try if not then I may have to back step to 9.10. Lucid, been working fine, the only app I'm having problem is with the boinc client, want to run with only one core. I will follow your advise. Thanks

Rafael

Site Admin
    Just had a thought...what if your OS install is only detecting 1 core?
    try this to confirm
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubunt...sors-on-linux/
    or just
    $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    to see the full output showing details from processor (core) 0 to processor {x}

If the problem is what your OS sees then there could be a problem with your BIOS or even the CPU itself.
    . . . . . ___

Site Admin
    Note that if you installed the version from the Ubuntu repository, you *must* fully un-install it before using the berkely version. If you don't do this, your boinc commands will revert to the Ubuntu repository installed version. This can get confusing when you open the newer version of the BOINC-Manager but the client version number (bottom right of the Advanced interface window) still shows the older version of the client that is running in the background. HTH
    . . . . . ___

Hi Dave, I always take the old version from the system, just keep the folder with the projects I'm using. And till just 10 days ago while using 9.10 Karmic (Kubuntu) everything was working fine. even now the pc is using the 2 core, only with the Boinc 6.10.17 it does not recognize the dual core and only run with one core. I have tried all but no avail. do anyone have version 6.5.41 in .deb format that can send it to me or directme were to use it.It was all working fine when the upgrade was done, then after the upgrade boinc version change and all went down the drain. I'm getting frustrated, and about ready to call it quits, but can seem to reach that point yet.
    When I originaly upgraded to 10.4 i was using 6.10.41 and all was fine, then i pospone the system update for a day and boinc was usung 2 cores, once I updated, boinc change to the latest version and screw everything up. only solution is change back to 6.10.41.....thanks

Check your data directory to see if you have a cc_config.xml file. If so, open it in a text editor and look for the <ncpus> entry. On the newer 6.10.xx clients, set that entry to -1 (that is a negative one) to use all cores, save the file and then in BOINC Manager click Advanced, Read Config file.

Hi Bob on my cc-config.xml the line ncpus does not appear.. can you copy and paste what it supposed to say. If I use 9.10 I do not have problem with the 6.10.41 but on kubuntu it will mount automatic the 6.1017 and it will run on one core. I'm getting tired and if I can solve this withing the next feew days I will drop boinc completly.and stick tyo milkyway only

It will be this entry:

<ncpus>-1</ncpus>

It needs to be listed in the <options> section of the cc_config.xml file.

I can also give you instructions on how to run any boinc version under Ubuntu/Kubuntu without having to uninstall the repository version, if you wish to try that. I am running 6.10.56 under 9.04 and didn't uninstall the repository version so that the daemon scripts are still functioning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast