Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

very nice.... I've already sent my PSU back for mine and now have to return the memory as well as one stick failed and caused some trouble. I think I dropped to 240 watts with the GPU sitting idle.

That's why I went with the 5770. Not top of the line, but speedy and ~108 watts.
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

So I have been working some crazy overtime the past few weeks, and I think it's time to treat myself, and the DC community. I want to make a computer just for crunching, CPU (Clean Energy Project) right now but will add powerful GPUs in the future. Is this still worth buying, or should I hold out for a few more months and get the Bulldozer at its new launch date?

Before anyone tells me how I/O intensive CEP2 is, I know that already, and will be either RAIDing VelociRaptors, or getting a SSD to run this rig on. Let me know what you think, if the 1090T (or 1100T for that matter) is worth the money now, or if Bulldozer is just going to blow it out of the water later this year.

I agree with Bender, and look how much bang you get for your buck. And do not just stare at the purchase price, keep in mind that DC takes 24/7/365
    That's why I am happy with my HD 4770: Not top of the line, but speedy, double-precision capable and a mere ~80 watts.
    Doing MilkyWay it beats the s**t out of my GTX 260, which consumates a rough 210 watts (but deliveres stellar PrimeGrid performance)
    Saving for a GTX 560 though: faster and only 150 watts.

The Bulldozer is likely to be better than the 1090T, but how much will a 6 or 8 core bulldozer cost (purchase and operation), compared to a 1090T?
    If it's cheaper it's well worth waiting for!

We don't know enough detail about Bulldozer's performance yet so its too early to say if it will be a Phenom I flop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12