Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what you crunching with?

So what you crunching with?

I'm just running some gpu's myself. I had a couple linux boxes going for the large units, but gave that up since the heat output was pretty high, and the gpu's are pretty consistent. Using cuda gpu's as the output from them is better than the ati's for this project. Been running the gpu3 beta on two of them.

On a 9800 GTX+ I have to run the 195.xx driver, as it locks up with everything else. Seems pretty strange, but that's what happens. So I guess when they run out of gpu2 work units I'll be up a crick on that box.

Is anyone running one of the latest 400 series nvidia cards on this??

No, just 8800GT/9800GT, a 9800GTX and 260+. My main GPUs are ATI 5850s from Gigabyte and I got an MSI R5870 Twin Frozr today that needs to find a computer to go in. This will be a weekend job. I don't waste the ATI cards on Folding as they do better at Collatz or DNetc.

I only have a measly ps3

It varies which machines are actually folding but I have the following machines I use:
    CPUs=Opteron 170, A64 3800+, PS3, Mac Mini Core Duo, E6600, Athlon II X4 640, i5 430M, i7 920 and i5 2500k
    GPUs=9800GT, GTS 360M, GTX 285, GTX 460 and GTX 470
    Last edited by Keith75; 03-05-2011 at 07:07 AM.

You've got a good collection there though. I don't put any cpu's on it, just running gpu's now and then. I plan on putting more effort into it though. Put a GTX560ti on it this evening. I had also picked up a GTX460, but on bringing it home it turned out there is bad memory in the card so that will be going back to the store. Then I also have a GTS-250 that I run now and then on it. It still works better on the stuff than the ATI gpu's. lol So I will proly pick up a couple more lower end nvidia cards to replace some more ATI's and cut down on the heat a bit.

There really doesn't seem to be much team interest in this project anymore as only a few contribute. I'm slowly working up to the one million mark. At that point I think I'll slow it down quite a bit. With the way the point system is now on F@H it has turned into just a big machine and corporate kind of thing, not much there for the little guy anymore other than just crunching a bit because of someone in their family dying. But even at that there are other projects out there that do worthwhile stuff on cancer and such too where there is more of a chance for some decent team rivalry races.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I don't crunch it because I don't have a good GPU to get on it (yet), using CPU only these days on Folding@Home is a waste of electricity unless you have a datacenter at home. (Even bigger waste of electricity!)
    I'm thinking most people also realized that, without a good GPU, or a PS3 there's almost no gain from crunching it.

Brucifer put those ATI cards on Collatz or Milkyway.

Nvidia is fine for Folding, I agree CPUs are a waste of electricity on Folding, put them to work on BOINC Mersenne@Home.

Well Vaughan, if I had some ATI's sitting doing nothing at the moment that I could run, I would. However reality is with the weather right now, all I can kick off is the nvidia's for folding. I'll be going offline sometime Friday evening as I'll be back on the road on a jeeping trip to the mountains for a couple weeks. Then after that my plan is to run the nvidia's on folding until I hit 1,000,000. After that, I will proly put some nvidia's on gpugrid, and maybe I can fire off an ati on milky way, or collatz. Will just have to see what goes with the weather after I get back.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    I'll be going offline sometime Friday evening as I'll be back on the road on a jeeping trip to the mountains for a couple weeks.
    That sounds like a convoy of fun. Seriously, Brucifer. I'm jealous.

I'm with you on the temps. Less than 6 months ago we were in the same situation 'up' here in AU. (yes 'up'. The maps are still wrong. lol )
    I had a few machines off completely and the others with extra case fans were down to no GPU and only 7 hours CPU timeslot in the early morning.
    It'll be easier to be confident about the temps when the seasons change.

ITMT, enjoy that trip. I'll be sure not to think about it while you are away. It'll just frustrate me.
    Last edited by AMDave; 07-16-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast