Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Projects Supporting ATI GPU

Thanks for the list, guys. I'll start testing out my card later when I get home from uni.

EDIT: Almost 7 years as a proud member of AMD Users. It's been a long time!
    Last edited by gamer007; 09-30-2010 at 09:25 PM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAdder View Post
    OOOPPPsss... I just noticed I've been with AMD USERS for 5 years !!
    Congrats BlackAdder! How time flies when you're having fun.

You have been below my radar lately, if I had spotted you earlier I would have added you to the Wiki... but then again I have been busy with work so have come over here less frequently. You are in line for a much due "Wikification"... lol.

I joined AMD Users when I got my AMD Athlon XP 2000+ back in... I can't remember when already. lol
    But it was one great machine that gave me plenty of points on the classic SETI@Home at the time... oh the memories of the good old times when there was no boinc and CPUs only had 1 core...

oh the memories of the good old times when there was no boinc and CPUs only had 1 core...
    The good old days when there was only one project, so you could estimate which CPU suited you most: http://ksetispy.sourceforge.net/SetiTimer.php We could use an application like that again, but development on KSetiSpy seems to have fallen flat.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAdder View Post
    GPUGRID does ati gpu's, and the points are good too
    I signed up with GPUGRID but everytime my client requests work, it comes back saying I have no NVIDIA GPU. Do I need a double precision card like in Milkyway? The cards I tried are a 2600 XT, and a 4670.

I'm fairly certain it only supports nvidia cards.

Yes, basically there are just a few ATI GPU projects: Milky Way (Provided you have an Ati card with a Double Precision Floating Point Unit, so a Radeon HD 38xx, 48xx, 47xx, 58xx, 59xx, FirePro V87xx, FireStream 92xx (and sorry: Windows only)), DNETC (also Windows only), Collatz (err....Windows only) and Seti@Home, see http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum...d.php?id=61626

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by liuqyn View Post
    I'm fairly certain it only supports nvidia cards.
    GPUGrid seems to be working towards supporting ATI cards too
    I found a thread on their forums about testing with 5870's.
    http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=1458

from what I understood, they tried to modify the cuda code(instead of writing a stream app) and it ran very poorly, so unless they have further advanced this, I would suggest another projects for ATIs.

From what I've read they tried to make it an OpenCL application, but you need to register at AMD to get 2.2 SDK dll's (or 2.3 which will hopefully work better) and it only works on ATI 58xx cards it seems (and I may hope HD5970s as well, while they're working on 57xx support, but no lower, so my 'new' HD3870 is definitely out). Performance is still not great, as is with Seti@Ati
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 10-17-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    ... but you need to register at AMD to get 2.2 SDK dll's (or 2.3 which will hopefully work better) and it only works on ATI 58xx cards it seems...
    Nope, not true. I'm running the 2.2 SDK (w/OpenCL 1.1 support) on one of my Kubuntu machines that I slipped a 4850 into along with the newly patched 10.9 driver and Catalyst. It was *_NOT FUN_* figuring out that there was an issue with desktop compositing and effects wrestling with the OpenGL at the same time. I'm documenting a BugTrack for submittal on this (I suspect very few people have had any success getting the OpenCL up and running on *_ANY_* KDE 4.x desktops). But, your truely did and it works pretty sweet. I'm still in testing and benching, but so far the numbers are DAMN GOOD considering I'm running an $80US TeraScale adapter. I'm in new territory and that's what I LIVE for...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast