Thread: ATI Performance on DNETC@Home?

ATI Performance on DNETC@Home?

I thought I'd give my HD3870 something extra besides Milkyway and Collatz and downloaded a WU DNETC, to find out it will take a whopping 61 HOURS to complete. Is that an accurate estimate? The HD3870 can crunch a Milkyway WU in a little over 9 minutes, and a Collatz WU in 48 Minutes.
    Those were my thoughts before I went to sleep. I've waken up now to find out the WU was finished in just 1h 27minutes, those DNETC boys/girls just cannot predict. The Nvidia WUs come in as 4 minute jobs that take 53 minutes to complete, the ATI WU can be done in 1/60 of the predicted time!
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 11-05-2010 at 08:57 AM.

sorry, my only experience is with a 5870... what was expected to be a 900 point unit finishes in 15 mins (some ~25), i think both were awarded 3000 points

Today I set my oldest GPU (actually my most recent acquisition, a Sapphire AGP HD3850) to work at DNETC, to find out that it wants 48 Hours to complete the first WU. From my experience with the HD3870 I know this to be a very conservative guesstimate, so I expect it to finish later this evening. Now checking a suspected dead Mobo, if it's dead I'm off to buy my first AM3 mobo, otherwise I need a Pentium D to get any performance out of the board (and a 2nd AGP HD3850 -the Mobo being an Asrock 775i65PE- to make it at least half AMD)
    The HD3850 took longer than I expected: 2h 21m, making DNETC an emergency project for this card, when there's no Collatz or MilkyWay to crunch. From now on it will be a dedicated Collatz cruncher, with MilkyWay as backup project.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 12-10-2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: lomger -> longer

Bought yet another 2nd hand card: a HD 4770 this time. It leaves the HD 3850 and HD 3870 far behind in level of performance, and as a bonus consumes less energy and supports OpenCL.
    DNET crunch times as compared to the 3870 are more than halved (less than 30 min. now), pitty I cannot connect to the DNET server at the moment as it is down, just like the Collatz server.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 01-05-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: typo