Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nflight passed 10M

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin

Nflight passed 10M

Congrats, Nflight on passing the 10M milestone.

http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_us...=bo&id=1262215

Time to do the victory dance.

Sweet As!
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Congrats Nflight!!!

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    All right Nflight!! 10 big ones in the bag!!

I'll get there too someday... just have to get myself some more GPUs.

Nice numbers. Well done Nflight.

Happy crunching everyone

I agree GPUs are the way to go if you want points.

Talking bout GPUs: I just cannot understand why Ati/AMD choose to leave out the double precision support in the new 68xx series.
    I have such fun with my humble HD 3870 which has that support, crunching milkyway WUs like they are mere choclate bars

Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Talking bout GPUs: I just cannot understand why Ati/AMD choose to leave out the double precision support in the new 68xx series.
    I have such fun with my humble HD 3870 which has that support, crunching milkyway WUs like they are mere choclate bars
    Hmm... I had no idea of this, but in this case I also agree that it was a major step in the wrong direction...

But then again we have to consider that Distributed Computing is not what brings the big bucks to the GPUs department of AMD... it's the games, and the gamers who buy the GPUs. My guess is that double precision calculations might not be something truly necessary for games, so they left it out. That way theres more free space in the chip, for more streaming units! (Some models have >1000! )

Site Admin
    Hmm... but reading up on it some more online, it seems that not all the 6xxx generation will be without double precision calculations.
    The "still-to-be-launched-somewhere-around-next-year" models 6950/6970/6990 will have double precision calculation it seems.

I know the 69xx series will have double precision support, I stated that the 68xx series has none. But it seems strange after double precision support for the 38xx, 48xx, and 58xx series.
    Nvidia on the other hand is now extending the double precision support out of their GTX series, and also offering it for their GT and GTS series (GT 420/30/40, GTS 450)

Yes I agree with you both Dirk and NeoGen. I cannot understand AMD's logic with their decision to not include double precision with the 68XX series GPUs. Its ia a MAJOR fault. I was going to buy half a dozen of them but will consider Nvidia GTX580s now. Maybe I'll wait and see what the 69XX series brings but it might just bring the prices of the GTX580s down.

Today I broke the 10 million barrier, and earlier this week the long-awaited Ati/AMD HD 6950 and HD 6970 came out. Good cards indeed, but the HD 5970 remains world's fastest card. Where nVidia choose the new Fermi cards to have the double precision at 1/8th of the single precision (as opposed to the lousy 1/12th with the 200 series), Ati/AMD choose to have it at 1/4th (as opposed to 1/5th earlier). The 6970 thus has a power of 2,732 Gflop SP and 683 Gflop DP, the 6950 will do at 2250 and 562,5 respectively. The 6970 is better than the HD 5870 -or its professional brother, the Ati FirePro V9800-, while the 6950 is better than the Ati FirePro V8800, the FireStream 9370, the HD 4870 X2 or the HD 5850. The HD 5970 thus remains king however, with a stunning 4,640 Gflops SP and 928 Gflops DP. Those of us with too much money can even opt for the ASUS Ares, in fact a double HD 5870 with 5,440 Gflops SP and 1,088 Gflops DP
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 12-16-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: style/grammar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast