Thread: Vaughan passed 250M

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin

Vaughan passed 250M

Congratulations to vaughan for passing 250,000,000 combined BOINC score.

"Ludicrous speed ... GO!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NbrAy9f4Gc
    Last edited by AMDave; 11-21-2010 at 11:20 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Way to go vaughan!!

The first quarter billion is the hardest, from now on it will be much easier.

Especially considering the power of GPU's these days...

Thank you NeoGen.

I also achieved a long term goal today. I cracked into the BOINC Top 100. Woot!

Look out Liuqyn I'm on a roll.

ya I see you coming, but my budget doesn't afford me much to hold you off this time.

Hi Liuqyn,

Set all your Nvidia Cuda-capable cards to work at Primegrid (if they don't already), and/or buy a new one if budget can afford it. PrimeGrid pays extremely well. I am running it for 99% on one single GPU, a GTX260, the other percent going to a GT9500. Wish I had a GTX285 or 295.....but already getting more than 100k credits a day as it is for Prime Grid on a single GPU.
    Of course Vaughan can buy/deploy more GPUs as well, but he already seems to have a pretty optimized crunching farm.

I second that. Nice job Vaughan. Great daily average you have going these days. See what several years of accumulated crunching adds up to !!

Is electricity getting cheaper down under, or have you got a solar pharm running in parallel ?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellds View Post
    I second that. Nice job Vaughan. Great daily average you have going these days. See what several years of accumulated crunching adds up to !!

Is electricity getting cheaper down under, or have you got a solar pharm running in parallel ?
    Thank you Dave.

Actually I took your advice and invested heavily in GPUs. Now every machine that has a PCIe x16 slot has a GPU and some better air cooled cases in the pharm have two GPUs.

Electricity is getting more expensive with our inept State Government that cannot run a chook raffle let alone essential infrastructure. I'd love to invest in some PhotoVoltaic roof panels but once again our stoopid politicians have cut the feed rate from 60 cents per KWh down to 20 cents. This means the net gain is now only 3 cents for what you return to the electricity grid so its just not worth the $20k+ outlay anymore. I think the breakeven point would be about when the Sun goes out!

Hi Vaughan,

I'm even adding GPU's to my still functioning AGP boards now! Bought a 3rd hand HD3850 for about $30 that is crunching Collatz at the moment, so my GTX260 can devote its time to PrimeGrid and the HD3870 can keep crunching MilkyWay. Seen a cheap HD4650 somewhere in the neighbourhood as well that might end up in my sole socket754 board.

That's the way Dirk. Its called G.A.S. (GPU Acquisition Syndrome.)

Solar is a large investment, but they do seem to pay for themselves at some point and hopefully before retirement so it can help reduce those expenses. I cant imagine it would make a very big dent in your large electric bill without some serious investment.