Thread: Need a cool running CUDA GPU

Need a cool running CUDA GPU

I have a server case (Antec Take4) running an AMD Phenom X2 1090T hexcore CPU. When it was running an MSI GTX460 1GB Hawk GPU the temps on hardware monitor showed the GPU in the high 70C region when running the BOINC Primegrid CUDA client. The CPU is cooler with a Corsair H50 water cooler but the radiator is inside the server case. There are 3x 120mm fans inside the box but temps are still too high for my liking. I swapped the MSI 460 card for an old 7200GS card but this critter is running at 78C and not crunching anything.

I need a cool running GPU that is CUDA capable so I can run Primegrid sieving. Any ideas?

Hi Vaughan,

A GTS450 should be able to run cooler, but will also have a slightly lower level of performance. Maybe you should think about a better aftermarket cooler, e.g. http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail?sArticle=18.%3f
    or take the temperature for granted. nVidia states that the max GPU temperature for the 460 is about 106 degrees centigrade
    I myself leave my warm cases open. More noise, but better cooling...and it's winter here now anyway.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    NVIDIA 9600 GT runs at 55C when the case temp is 39C and the room temp is 26C
    It knocks over a PG-PPSs wu in 1hr.
    Probably not quite in the league that you are looking for ;P
    Last edited by AMDave; 12-29-2010 at 06:30 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

uggg...i had an idea for you, but it didn't post as it logged me out and wiped it clean.

If its like the pics in at newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129023. I think you may be having air flow problems by the gpu where it just recirculates hot air. Are the temps any better if you stand it up like a tower? Is there any holes in the top cover(hard to see at newegg)? Is this case being used for anything special? Does it need to be quiet? Is water cooling this setup an option?

Hi Vaughan,

Try changing the GPU fan speed. It worked on my HD6870, I changed it from variable speed to a constant 40-50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason1478963 View Post
    If its like the pics in at newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129023. I think you may be having air flow problems by the gpu where it just recirculates hot air. Are the temps any better if you stand it up like a tower? Is there any holes in the top cover(hard to see at newegg)? Is this case being used for anything special? Does it need to be quiet? Is water cooling this setup an option?
    Its similar but came supplied with a 650W Antec power supply. It had a metal cover inside (left side when viewed front on) that took air from the front of the case where you could install DVD drives (I didn't). This airflow is sucked into the power supply. I removed the metal cover so that the whole LHS is clear for air to get to the power supply unit. In the middle I have the Corsair water cooler, an H50 model, and its radiator is inside the case. I have two x 120mm fans pushing air thru this and exhaust to the rear.

Hardware monitor shows the 7300 GPU is at 78C (range 45C - 80C) running nothing and the 1090T CPU is at 48C (range 44C - 52C) running Einstein.

Fans are at 100%

I purchased a PCI slot "blower" but it looks kind of tiny so I don't hold out much hope that it will achieve any significant cooling effect.

My son says I should invest in an air-conditioned server cabinet and put the Antec Take 4 and his 4 unit rack running dual Xeons in it.

EEEEEK on the a/c stuff.... That could be more crunchers running instead of a/c units. I think i would go water cooled before I do something like that. If I added a few more water blocks to my cooling loops I believe I could keep up with my hydronic floor heat demand. If he is looking to invest this kind of money it might be time to consider a indirect water storage tank to preheat domestic water. This could reduce hot water heating costs in the process. If this gets to hot you could add some sort of evaporative cooler in the mix. If A/C can be avoided it would be worth it in the long run. The MSI card looks like it would recirculate the heated air in that case. If water cooling is out of the question I would consider a case mod to duct some air right to the gpu fans. I let my stuff run into that tank and haven't seen the water go over 50C. I let my stuff run a bit warm to get as much heat as possible into the preheat tank.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
    NVIDIA 9600 GT runs at 55C when the case temp is 39C and the room temp is 26C. It knocks over a PG-PPSs wu in 1hr. Probably not quite in the league that you are looking for ;P
    A GT 9600 has just 64 CUDA cores, compute capability 1.1 and a computing power of 312 Gflop single precision. It needs some 98 Watt to run/has a TPD of 98 Watt.
    A GT 240 has 96 CUDA cores, compute capability 1.2 and a computing power of 385 Gflop single precision. It needs 69 Watt to run/has a TPD of 69 Watt.
    A GT 430 has 96 CUDA cores, compute capability 2.1 and a computing power of a mere 268 Gflop single precision and 34 Gflop double precision. It only needs 49 Watt to run/has a TPD of 49 Watt. It is the cheapest Fermi-card around.
    If an AMD/Ati card will do as well you might consider
    a HD 5550. It has 320 shaders and a computing power of 352 Gflop single precision, running on a mere 39 Watt. It comes in the same price range as the GT 430, £60 ($79)