Thread: Introduction

Introduction

I've just signed up for this forum since I've been in the AMD Users team for quite some time now. I recently just upgraded my main machine and built two new machines a few days ago so now I am contributing the following:

3 x Phenom II X6's @ 3.5-4Ghz each [World Community Grid]
    3 x Radeon HD 6850's (one of them is arriving in the mail today for my main machine to have CrossfireX) [DNETC@Home]
    1 x Radeon HD 4870 [DNETC@Home]

I am thinking about building a fourth machine since Newegg accidentally gave me a free AM3 motherboard and power supply, and I've got a lot of spare DDR3 RAM. I shall continue to crunch 24/7 as always.

I've noticed that these 6850's are about 3x faster than the 4870 in BOINC applications, and they can even function well while gaming + BOINC at the same time, and the particular version I got was MSi R6850 Cyclone PE/OC which never goes above 54C with BOINC and makes near zero fan noise while having a 185MHz overclock from reference. A near zero FPS drop when doing both so I can now contribute while I am gaming.

I am 17 and almost have my first degree in IT, and will be working on getting my CompTIA certificates this summer.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Welcome to the forums mmstick!

Man, I wish I was that lucky that newegg would accidentally send me an AM3 board and PSU... that is a once in a lifetime thing...lol.
    You got quite the big machines there. I can't even look at the X6's yet, the price tags are beyond my possibilities. But I got it in my mind to upgrade my X3 someday, and I've already checked that with a bios upgrade the board will be compatible, so now it's just waiting for the right timing for it.

Make yourself at home, don't be shy, and post if you got any questions or doubts, or if anything comes to mind that you would like to share.
    And as always, keep on crunching!

Welcome mmstick.
    Nice firepower at your command. And at 17 as well.
    Crunch away and don't forget the forums.......
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

Awesome lineup mmstick. Whose motherboard did you get for free?

Interesting observation on the R6850 performance. I've been thinking of upgrading a CrossFire pair and have been looking at that adapter.

I've got three certs under my belt from CompTIA (Network +, Security + and Linux +). They should serve you well, especially if you are open to DoD 8570 IAWF compliance type work.
    "Then I remembered my grandmother and realized, my God, the human mind can absorb and process an incredible amount of information - if it comes in the right format. The right interface. If you put the right face on it. Want some coffee?" - Juanita Marquez; Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson