Thread: Will AMD become the DAMD!?

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin

Will AMD become the DAMD!?

Firstly, I regard the following article to be speculation which is why it is not in the news section.

Secondly, if Dell did buy AMD what do you think the odds would be of them choosing the "DAMD" monicer?

Here you go.
    Have a read of this and see what you think.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02...ition_chatter/

I'd have to question what the share risk of Intel might be in Dell and whether this might be considered as being either a hostile move by Dell against AMD or a price-point-shakedown move against Intel.

I am pretty sure that I am not being too cynical. These thoughts are well within scope. But it does make me want to watch the share market for the next week to see what everyone else thinks.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

I think that the play for a license of the ARM tek makes much more sense. Buying AMD would be a money loser and would alienate Intel. Competition (as opposed to Greed) is GOOD. Plus would Dell's competitors be willing to buy AMD's products and help Dell's bottom line? I don't think so. In my experience (and I have some) mergers that combine tiers of open market solution providers have more downside than up. But... I could be wrong.

It would definitely be a bad thing all round if this happened. Can't really see much point in Dell acquiring AMD, I would have thought it was in Dell's interests to keep both AMD and Intel around as 'independent' companies - if only to play one off against the other and ensure CPU development keeps getting pushed ahead. AMD clearly have some interesting ideas going forward and I suspect these don't include gajillions of serially addressed cores (real or virtual) per CPU, but do include a proper parallel processing architecture for raw processing power (GPU style).

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I just can't stand all that speculation... it's almost like somebody sneezes for no reason and all of a sudden everyone's screaming H1N1.

But oh well... this is what keep the stock markets alive and the stock prices going up and down every day... and the ones who spread the best rumours are the ones who win in the end of the day...