Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NumberFields@Home

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    IN ques there are 7 work units that don't complete themselves. Very odd, they stop and open another one, then run 4 hours then do it again. leaving me with 6 unfinished work units! So very Odd.
    Ouch. I haven't seen those yet fortunately. I'd better check my queues.
    If that keeps happening you can report them with your host details in their forum for the admin to examine.
    He is quite responsive.

[EDIT - aha.
    check your app versions
    I do have that on one box now since there is now a mixture of 1.01, 1.02 and 1.03 app work in my queue
    it will resolve itself but if you want it to do it sooner, set NNT until they are all done and then set ANT again when they have uploaded
    then you 'should' only get work for the newest client and the problem should stop
    (unless the server is still doing re-sends on the older client? I wonder. I'll keep watch for a bit)
    it is just that there is a bit of overlap at the moment and the BOINC manager is re-prioritizing the work order
    - EDIT]
    Last edited by AMDave; 08-22-2011 at 11:54 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Holy Crap! That was quite the jump you just made there Dave to take over first place!
    Nice going!
    I'd like to see how you did it, but unfortunately someone has their computers hidden

Site Admin
    Sneakernet for the whoopla!
    Looks good hey. :D
    One of my hex-core boxes hit a series of really short WU causing the estimate to come down to a few minutes, therefore it swallowed a couple of days worth of work so I took it off-line to complete while the others were all crunching away happily.
    I saw the 3 day completion limit and had to put it back online to uploaded lots of completed work.
    In the mean time Jason1478963 had pulled up to a stop so that made the pass for 1st inevitable. Unless, he is sneakernetting also? I'd better keep going. =O

Since Jason1478963 roared past me (I recon I could do some damage with those rigs of his) I hid my comps and ramped up to 20 cores including 2 laptops and a multicore VM, so the jump was deliberate.
    There is no doubt that my Linux_AMD64 hosts complete the work much faster than WIn-32 (on Win-32 or on Win-64 running as WIn-32)
    Also I suspect I may have benefited from the large variations in the points awarded.
    Some of my Wus get very little and some are out of proportion.
    That issue has been reported and is being looked at.
    (It seems to be a common theme with the newer BOINC server versions. There is a fair amount of discussion about it here and there, some quite heated.)
    Last edited by AMDave; 08-25-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    . . . . . ___

I have had some 20 hour work units, They are long and painful to see as the value of points for that long is only around 300. That a lot of work for so little return on investment. BUt, Hey after almost 6 years of continuous operation I will not give up till I hit 10,000 points!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Well, I'm not in the race with you guys, I'm only throwing a couple of cores at it and in split time with Test4Theory, but I will rake a few points for the Team. After all, every little bit counts.

I just had a 34 hour work unit, it came out with actual points so I am glad I stuck with it. That is just too long for anyone to work on one work unit!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Site Admin
    Yup. That's a long time to hold your breath on a new project.
    In general though it seems that the work unit sizes and validations are starting to stabilize.
    Glad you got through that behemoth.
    I may have had one, but I haven't 'observed' one that long yet.
    Apparently I have sent back 1544 results so I'm not keen to go through them to check.
    I think you beat me (on the ones I watched) by about 9 hours.
    Last edited by AMDave; 09-01-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    . . . . . ___

You guys should try PrimeGrid's Seventeen-or-Bust WUs. Takes about a week to complete!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123