Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: ototeros stats

Thanks guys...
    I don't know how to get my score officially integrated. I can't log onto CB. I emailed, but no reply. Then I looked over the CB member list, and I'm not listed. Anyway in the mean time just do the mental addition.

Scroll to the bottom of this page and update your Team status.

www.chessbrain.net/member

Also ensure you register each PC by clicking on File then Register and entering your signup email adddress for each PC you have CB installed on.

Thanks, Vaughan, for that link; it worked!
    I was trying to go in through the Community page on their site, and I couldn't get it to work.

I'm not using Windows; I'm using Slackware Linux. For the Linux CB client, the user number goes into the cbspn.conf file in the working directory.

The nice thing about running the linux client is that it can be run on any spare machine that you run into (e.g. at work) without having to install anything. Just boot from a Knoppix cd, copy the CB client from a floppy or jump drive and run it.

Ahh that makes it a Chess Borg then! Nice. Do you have to renice it so that it doesn't interfere with the user's work?

Can you post the full instructions for setting it up on a Thumb Drive? I have a 128MB is that enough? I can borg, I mean borrow, Doomeva's 512MB one if required.

Will it run on a P133 from a CD?

SOB on a thumb drive works too..... And the key counting thingy's.... I use those at school. It really pays off in VB class..... God I hate typing code..... But at least I get credit for punching the keys.....

now the stats are updated you are there.

[ http://stats.free-dc.org/new/teamsta...team=AMD+Users ]
    - some nice stats aswell.

sorry its a bit late but welcome to the team :thumbleft:

Vaughan,

A P133 isn't enough to run CB because of the real-time nature of the task. I've found that it takes about a 333Mhz machine to run a single CB client. If you run a too slow machine (or too many clients) the jobs don't get completed with the assigned depth. For the same reason, you can't nice it down.

I only commandeer machines that are unused. There are a couple of laptops that are only used to control some high speed cameras. A good example is a generic desktop PC in th lab that's never used. I don't have administrator privilages, so I can not install the CB windows client. I can, however, boot Knoppix Linux from a CD and run CB clients. A nice thing about running like this is that the machine can be reset or turned off any time, so you can put a note on the machine that says "Reset this machine if you need it"

All you need on the thumb drive is the cbspn executable (418k) and the cbspn.conf file (1k), so a floppy would work, too.

The procedure (after booting Knoppix) would be:
    start a console window by clicking the monitor icon
    su #to get root privilages (no password)
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt #mount the thumb drive
    cp /mnt/cb* . #copy the files
    umount /mnt #unmount the thumb drive
    cbspn #run the CB client

Then you can open additional console instances to run additional clients.

i have found on my machine i can get little over 25 or they start to disconnect themselves, seems pretty sensible as they sort of control themselves - better than some prgrams i have install that seem to have NO intelligence at all.

I ran 25 and it seemed to slow down alot for me... I found that 20 was about as good as it get's...

seems always to be around that. - i guess some of it would be the broadband as well. here the speed is pretty high compared to some of my local friends who also have a 512 connection.
    Search "speed tester" in google and run this on a few machines - see how your speed compares to your mates. I reckon if yours is slightly lower that could be why you find 20 to be the maximum whereas i can get 25. ** the processors may be capable of more on a better link **

Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast