Thread: Raspberry Pi is a Low-Power, Credit-Card Sized Computer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nvidia Jetsons for the future.

What should Nvidia do to make their ARM products more competitive? There are several strategies, but let's start with a sore point on my part: the price.
    The 2GB Nano comes at a price halfway the 4GB Pi 4 and the 8GB Pi4 here, while the 4GB Nano is more expensive than the 8GB Pi 4 and even more expensive than the 4GB Odroid-N2+!
    The next model, the Xavier NX comes at a whopping 500+ Euro's.....

My proposals for Nvidia:
    • Lower the price of the 2GB Nano to $35, the 4GB Nano to $55, so they can compete with the Raspberries. The USP (Unique Selling Point) might be the better GPU. CPU-wise the Raspberry Pi 4's are one generation ahead already.
    • Bring out a 8GB Nano. This to prevent messages in BOINC like this for my Jetson-Nano2GB:
      Rosetta@home 4/9/2021 4:00:11 PM Message from server: Rosetta needs 6675.72 MB RAM but only 1879.68 MB is available for use.
      Amicable Numbers 4/11/2021 12:25:21 AM Message from server: Amicable Numbers up to 10^21 needs 2861.02 MB RAM but only 1879.68 MB is available for use.

Even the 4GB would get this from Ralph and Rosetta, so a 8GB would be very nice, not only to keep up with the Raspberry Pi's, but to do meaningful BOINC work.
    • Bring out more versions of the Xavier NX, and lower the price. At this moment we only have the far-too-expensive 8GB model, make a 6GB and a 12 GB (16 GB?) model too, and make it a bit more affordable.
    • Bring OpenCL support for your GPUs to the Linux/ARM platform. CUDA works at least but for BOINC (and other applications) to really get things into gear, OpenCL support for the GPU is needed.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-10-2021 at 10:29 PM.