Thread: Raspberry Pi is a Low-Power, Credit-Card Sized Computer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Let's say you bought yourself the latest Raspberry Pi, the Raspberry Pi 4B with 8GB of RAM, what can you do with it? And what couldn't be done with earlier Pi's?

Let me first stress that the 8GB, together with the ARM Cortex-A72 allow for a 64-bit OS -e.g. Raspberry Pi OS to be used to the fullest extent.
    From the Raspberry Pi 3B on (and even the 2nd edition of the Raspberry Pi 2B) the board had a 64-bit ARM Cortex-A53, but with only 1 GB of RAM. The Pi 4B was originally introduced with 1, 2 and 4 GB, the latter just having enough RAM to be able to run a 64-bit OS (and more than enough to run a 32-bit OS). The 1 GB model has been withdrawn since a few months and a 8 GB model has now been added to the line. That is as much RAM as is there in the PC of my missus, and twice the RAM as in the PC of my daughter! (she uses a hand-me-down Socket 775 Dell that won't accept more than 4GB and is due for a Ryzen 5 upgrade, though with that new B550 chipset a Ryzen 3 from the 3000 series might do too...)

What projects have apps for ARM/Linux? And do they cater 64-bit?
    *Does anyone have an overview for WCG? COVID-19 and MIP can be done 32-bit natively and 64-bit with a hack at least*

If you have installed a 64-bit OS and want/need to run 32-bit apps, you might need to install 32-bit libraries to do so.
    In case of wanting to run 32-bit apps under a 64-bit OS you get a message like "This project doesn't support computers of type aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu" from that project.
    You then need to add:
    Code:
    <options>
      <alt_platform>arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf</alt_platform>
    </options>
    to the cc_config.xml file
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-07-2020 at 11:50 AM.