Thread: ARM EnergyCore using 1/15th power compared to Xeon E3-1240

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin

ARM EnergyCore using 1/15th power compared to Xeon E3-1240

Claxeda have published an ApacheBench benchmark result claiming 15x performance per Watt by the Calxeda EnergyCore ECX-1000 (Quad ARM) over over an Intel (Quad) Xeon E3-1240.

The additional notes below the result tile are quite challenging. Including..
    "Even if we were to reduce the Intel Xeon’s TDP numbers by 30%, the EnergyCore solution would still provide a significant performance per watt advantage (greater than 10X)."

I am not up to speed with the details of the ApacheBench test cases, and the choice of benchmark implies that the tests are not ALU-centric, but clearly at that kind of performance under full load, the competition is hotting up.
    (or is that cooling down ? )
    If you are building a data center you now really need to split your h/w purchases across the demand for web services and CPU services and provide a healthy balance of both.
    As we all know, power costs money ... and carbon.

The TCO reduction of 77% is a big claim.
    If that is true and the benchmark extends to ALU-centric tests then Intel could be in a lot of trouble down the track if they don't respond to this in a big way.
    As far as I know, AMD already have tech agreements with ARM.
    I don't know if Intel have similar agreements or not.

Personally I anticipate CEO-led innovation at the design and fabrication level.
    I don't see any other way that the gap can be quickly clawed back.
    It will be interesting to see what comes out of this over the next 12 to 24 months.

more ...
    Last edited by AMDave; 06-21-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------