Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VGTU@Home News

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    and I quote ...
    "Research in 1969 by J. J. Leeming showed countries driving on the left have a lower collision rate than countries driving on the right, although he acknowledged that the sample of left-hand rule countries he had to work with was small, and he was very careful not to claim that his results proved that the differences were due to the rule of the road.[32] It has been suggested this is partly because humans are more commonly right-eye dominant than left-eye dominant.[33][34][35] In left-hand traffic, the predominantly better-performing right eye is used to monitor oncoming traffic and the driver's wing mirror. In right-hand traffic, oncoming traffic and the driver's wing mirror are handled by the predominantly weaker left eye. In addition, it has been argued that left-sided driving is safer for elderly people given the likelihood of their having visual attention deficits on the left side and the need at intersections to watch out for vehicles approaching on the nearside lane.[36] Furthermore, in an RHD car with manual transmission, the driver has the right hand, which for most people is dominant, on the steering wheel at all times and uses the left hand to change gears and operate most other controls."
    ... so you will also observe that your per-capita road accident rate and per-capita deaths due to road accidents are higher.

Also your map is upside down. Australia should be at the top.
    Last edited by AMDave; 04-15-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Is that figure (per-capita road accident rate) relative to the number of kilometers per car per mile road per year?
    Actually we -the Netherlands- have a lower mortality rate regarding traffic incidents than left driving Australia or Japan,
    see here

And I bet the chances that I have a road accident while driving on the right through Australia are far lower than when you drive through the Netherlands on the left!

A whole bunch of maps that will appeal to Australians!
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-15-2012 at 04:08 PM.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    You are right. I was thinking of the US. I thought you all rode bicycles. :P LOL Stereo-types can be harsh.
    hayhay. You found the real maps. Good job. I knew you knew what I meant.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12