Thread: Prescott cooler

Prescott cooler

Just got this put in this morn, and its the best i have tried so far

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...109-119&depa=1

12 degrees cooler than previous HSF's I have tried including Thermaltake Spark 7 Xaser and a Zalman CNPS6500B. Now currently 38 idle and 46 loaded, in case anyone runs one of these cookers.

The link won't connect.

I'm using a Zalman CNPS7700-Cu on and AMD 64 3000+ 754 overclocked by 10% and have the temps your having.

the links fine for me rich :?

The link worked this time.

I'm leary of heatsinks that employ heat pipes. I'm not exactly convinced they actually contribute to the cooling efficiency. Also, I question whether the heat pipes will work (if they do at all) if the heatsink is not mounted flat. The concept behind the heat pips is sound, but if the motherboard is mounted in a tower case, you immediately remove the fluid in the heat pipe either to the bend if the bend is facing down, or to both ends of the heat pipe... until heat boils all of the fluid out of the hot end of the pipe leaving you with an expensive standard heatsink.

I believe the heatpipes are contributing to the cooling efficiency of this heatsink considering the temps i had before, true this one is somewhat larger, but it's also nickel plated, which doesnt help dissipation any. Another thing I like about it, is its large enough to cover the first 2 ram slots of my board, helping to cool them too.

A Prescott is not an A64, its a very hot running P4. This sink is doing very well considering I also have HT turned off, which raises the temps further.