Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: June Competitions

June Competitions

Part 1: Ranting Hardware
    Me: We're at the beginning of the monthly Simap challenge and I am interviewing some of the contenders and members of the audience. You sir, you don't look happy, why?
    Harris 286-20: They wouldn't wanna have me! Too old they said! Can't run a decent OS! Your mobo only supports 1 Mb of RAM! Your not fast enough... 1Mb was enough in my days, sonny, I was the second fastest 286 of all time, only my brother Harris-25 could beat me, and I even have an old Intel 287 friend of mine on my mobo. Sons of b&*^%es....
    Me : Sorry to hear that pops, but you have a nice seat so have pleasure watching. I go on to an other oldster with a slightly happier expression, You sir can you tell us who you are?
    AMD 386-40 I son am the fastest 386 without fancy tricks, and I am collecting other hardware to be able to run.
    Me: So you're not expecting problems like Mr. Harris?
    AMD 386-40: No, I can run Windows 95 or Linux, that's enough for a BOINC client.
    Me: No memory problems either?
    AMD 386-40: Eight sticks of four Mb each, that's 32 Mb, how much more do you want?
    Me: My cell phone has more memory, sir!
    AMD 386-40: It's all them fancy graphics that eat too much memory, now in my days....
    Me: Sorry, I have to go on, who is this? You look like a 486 to me?
    IBM 486sLC2-50: Fooled you! I am actually a 386SX2-50!
    Me: So you are faster than the 386DX-40?
    IBM 486sLC2-50: Marginally, but my brothers 486DLC2-50 and 486SLC3-75 are the fastest 386's of all time.
    Me: But they are not here?
    IBM 486sLC2-50: Nope, have to do it all by myself, 386-wise, management does not support me, all goes to the newer guys, they don't even know me anymore nowadays at Lenovo...
    Me: Success! I go on! You sir look exactly like mr 486SLC2, how's that?
    AMD 486DX5-133: Upgrading can do that to you son, plus a hardware company that uses the same casing for various models.
    Me: Looks sturdy IBM quality to me.
    AMD 486DX5-133: Yep, I started out as a 486DX-2 66, but my owner exchanged the original CPU for me
    Me: Enough RAM?
    AMD 486DX5-133: 64 Mb and an original 1 Mb IBM XGA card! I can run OS/2, Windows98, Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Linux.
    Me: Impressive! I go on, there's a rather modern looking case, who are you?
    AMD K6III-400: I am the second best CPU that ever went into a socket 7 board!
    Me: And what happened to the fastest?
    AMD K6III-400: Unavailable at the moment.
    Me: Too bad. Do you think you can stand up to the other competitors?
    AMD K6 III-400: Why not? It's a CPU contest, isn't it?
    Me: Yes, but there is quite some competition, look at that big guy left of you for example, who are you sir?
    Pentium Pro 200: I man, I am a Pentium Pro 200.
    Me: You look not like Pentium Pro's I know, they're all shiny and golden, and you are..
    Pentium Pro 200: Black, yes, say it.
    Me: Rather dark, yeah..
    Pentium Pro 200: It's because of the aluminium heat spreader instead of the fancy gold ones.
    Me: Aha, never knew that. Do you think you can perform?
    Pentium Pro 200: I don't know, my hardware is pretty hard to get at the moment, but when it's up and running I can do any good 32-bit OS.
    Me: Won't the 200 Mhz be a bottleneck?
    Pentium Pro 200: We'll see, if so my nephews might be better suited for the challenge.
    Me: Holy chips! And I thought you were big! Sirs who are you?
    Dual Xeon-III 700: We are a pair of Xeon-III 700s.
    Me: Oh I see, it is stamped on your casing..
    Dual Xeon-III 700: Black, like our nephew and our cousins over there.
    Me: Family reunion?
    Dual Xeon-III 700: We are just watching, we are not allowed to compete, too hungry (points at two power cables protruding from its casing), but our cousins run.
    Me: I'll go and speak them! Sirs, who are you?
    Pentium III 550: We are slotted Pentium II and IIIs
    Me: Quite a bunch of you here, will you all compete?
    Pentium III 550: No. we're looking for the best combination of hardware, have to try and finish before the AMD K6 III otherwise the family will make us an offer..
    Me: Can't refuse such an offer, can you?
    Pentium III 550: But we have a family member who will beat the K6 III!
    Me: Who, tell me?
    Pentium III 550: It's Pentium III Tualatin over there!
    Me: Thanks, I'll go and speak to him! Sir, you seem a pretty beefed up P3 to me.
    Pentium III-1133 Tualatin: I sure am, my brother Pentium III-1400 even kicked the s#$%t out of the next generation, those stupid P4's!
    Me: You do not seem to like them?
    Pentium III-1133 Tualatin: They are bad architecture man, and power-hungry as well..
    Me: Any AMD competitor you fear?
    Pentium III-1133 Tualatin: Them Athlon guys, it took our family the trick to combine Xeon architecture with the original P III to produce us Tualatins, and we could take on the original Athlons, but later Athlon XPs still kicked the living daylight out of the P4's, especially them with the socket 423, what a loosers those were....
    Me: Now you mention it, don't see those around. I go on. First we have a commercial break though.

The ultimate 286 chip:

One of the FPUs that was able to keep up with the Harris-25 (FPU ran at 2/3 of the speed of the CPU on most 286 boards, or, if you were lucky, independent)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-03-2012 at 09:07 PM.

June Competitions Part 2: Actual Challenges

June 1 to June 8 - The June 2012 SIMAP scramble
    The monthly Simap scramble! You may have read the interview I had with some of the contenders and members of the audience
    The next part is in the making! I'll be interviewing some odd ones out, and actual contending machines of mine.
    We are currently #32 of the world and 17 of our members are active out of a total of 133 with results for this project.
    http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/210

June 8 to June 15 - test new Astropulse apps on GPU
    Team Columbia has an interesting challenge, testing a new GPU app for Seti. This is for the SETI@Home Beta project.
    We do quite good at this project: A 6th place world-wide and 4 of the 39 members with points are still active, some 10%.
    http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/213

June 8 to June 13 - EURO Crunch 2012, Stage 1: SETI@home
    At the same starting date Crystal Dream begins with stage 1 of the Euro Crunch, doing the production version of Seti@home.
    As a team we only have a #138 word-wide position, even though 400 members have a Seti score, 48 of which are still active.
    And that #138 position is even under threath from team Virginia Tech!
    http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/215

June 14 to June 19 - EURO Crunch 2012, Stage 2: SAT@home
    Stage 2 brings us SAT. As team we have a #14 position world-wide, but Vaughan and me are the only active members at the moment.
    Looking back a little bit further there is also activity by Dr. Iggy, Stefan and lazykiller, and all in all thirteen members have points for this project.
    http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/217

June 20 to June 25 - EURO Crunch 2012, Stage 3: Einstein@home
    Stage 3 is Einstein@Home, so ready your CUDA hardware and/or your HD 5xxx's or later, as there is an OpenCL application too.
    Team wise there is a #48 world-wide position to defend, and 52 of our members are currently active, about 10% of those with a score for this project (521)
    http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/219

June 26 to July 3 - EURO Crunch 2012, Stage 4: ClimatePrediction.net
    Last stage of the Euro Crunch (As the financial crisis goes on: Will there still be a Euro left to crunch at all?) takes us into the month July, and does work for ClimatePrediction.net. As team we are #81 in the world, and of the 221 members with points for this project 20 are active at the moment, another case of 10%.
    http://boincstats.com/en/stats/challenge/team/chat/221

It is unusual but I'm not able to get our team registered for the 4 Stages of the Euro Crunch. I don't know why. When I click on join it doesn't occur.

Hi Vaughan,

When you tried it in IE, try Chrome or FireFox instead. Works with me (sometimes).

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    After their recent stats pages upgrade I cleared my browser cache and created a new 'remember me' cookie at login. Give it a crack.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Hi Vaughan,

When you tried it in IE, try Chrome or FireFox instead. Works with me (sometimes).
    I tried using Chrome instead of FireFox but no go. I posted after yours at BOINCstats. I get this when I try to confirm I am founder by following the instructions and going to the profile pages in their link:
    http://page/profiles.php

Oops! Google Chrome could not find page

EDIT:
    Solved using Google Chrome incognito mode.
    Last edited by vaughan; 05-28-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: add edit

Hi Vaughan,

I see we're entered in al all four stages now, thanx!

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    There's a WCG challenge from 1 June - 30 June
    http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/te...allengeId=4919

Thanks to Michael at Rechenkraft for the email
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

I received the mail as well. A whole month! Chance to earn some badges here...

Has WCG done anything to improve the points they award or are they still as stingy as they used to be?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast