Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Still alive

Yes nice Challenge good team presentation...
    i like PG challenges.... maybe next year we can run the whole series ?
    I will give reminders here
    Greetz,
    Chris

That will be great Chris.

I managed to get two of my higher specced NVidia GPUs crunching remotely but had to wait until I returned home to fire up the "pharm". Managed to trip the RCD as the power circuit wasn't used to my thirst for electricity

I have a few PCs that lose their BIOS settings when they get powered off which is very inconvenient. I guess I need to replace their MOBO batteries over the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Yes nice Challenge good team presentation...
    i like PG challenges.... maybe next year we can run the whole series ?
    I will give reminders here
    I've always been under the assumption that the 'Project challenges' had no team component, as opposed to 'Team challenges'
    All of a sudden I do not see any distinction between the two anymore
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 12-22-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Managed to trip the RCD as the power circuit wasn't used to my thirst for electricity
    To quote Wikipedia: A residual-current device (RCD), or residual-current circuit breaker (RCCB), is an electrical wiring device that disconnects a circuit whenever it detects that the electric current is not balanced between the energized conductor and the return neutral conductor. Such an imbalance may indicate current leakage through the body of a person who is grounded and accidentally touching the energized part of the circuit. A lethal shock can result from these conditions. RCCBs are designed to disconnect quickly enough to prevent injury caused by such shocks. They are not intended to provide protection against overcurrent (overload) or short-circuit conditions.
    In the United States and Canada, a residual-current device is most commonly known as a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI), ground fault interrupter (GFI) or an appliance leakage current interrupter (ALCI). In Australia they are sometimes known as "safety switches" or simply "RCD" and in the United Kingdom, along with circuit breakers, they can be referred to as "trips" or "trip switches".
    A residual-current circuit breaker with overload protection (RCBO) combines the functions of overcurrent protection and leakage detection. An earth leakage circuit breaker (ELCB) may be a residual-current device, although an older type of voltage-operated earth leakage circuit breaker exists. Residual-current device is a generic term covering both RCCBs and RCBOs.

They are called "Aardlekschakelaar" here, and Chris might also know them as "Fehlerstromschutzschalter"

From now on the PrimeGrid challenges are to be included in the monthly challenge overview
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
    The Winter Solstice Challenge has concluded and we held onto #36
    http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/2...top_teams.html
    Thanks to Chris for the motivation
    Individual ranks were as follows:
    121 - Vaughan
    430 - AMDave
    443 - Chris
    448 - B Johansson
    611 - VALDIS
    1053 - Ciceronian
    1238 - 202life
    1624 - Ed
    1719 - Papagiorgio
    1903 - Lysergius
    http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/2...top_users.html

Way to go Team!
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 12-23-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Dirk - I stand corrected with respect to referring to the RCD. Something in the computer room managed to create a situation that tripped the RCD / Safety Switch. On examination of the offending machines I narrowed down to either a 12CM exhaust fan on an old Q6600 box where the fan bearings are worn so the fan fails to turn. Or, it could be an old Nvidia card in a Q8200 box and the fan on that GPU has also got worn bearings and is very hard to turn by hand let alone under power.

Both boxes are powered off for fear of inciting a riot in our household. Extremely dangerous having the power fail and therefore trigger a "No Internet" situation when my son is in the middle of an on-line game. (Plus he's bigger than me)

Replace both fan and video card I'd say!
    I have a GT 8400 to spare, but that's not cutting ice...

If I had to take a stab at it I would say its a bad power supply.With the RCD working like a GFCI according to the description from Wikipedia that Dirk Broer was so kind to post. The most likely place to have something leak to ground would be a short in a power supply.It could possibly be a Motherboard or graphics card, but this is unlikely with the newer 80 plus certified power supplies and all the over current protection built in. I do not see that happening in a fan, but maybe because of the fan failure causing something to overheat then fail. I also had a power supply fail not to long ago kicking a well loaded 20 amp circuit offline. In the ideal crunching world the internet would be on a separate circuit with battery backup to keep the work flowing to machines on other circuits. Best of luck with the repairs and may you luck our and have your failure covered under warranty

From the front page Dirk writes:
    "Vaughan - still busy with unpacking his server park in Canberra?"
    Not ready yet. It took me over an hour to battle three different on-line chat representatives from the Indian sub-continent working for my mobile ISP Telstra, finally they had my mobile phone number and I managed to speak to an Australian and he managed to upgrade my account from 4GB to 6GB traffic (up & downloads counted) per month. So unless I can find a (some) project(s) with seriously low bandwidth requirements there won't be a server farm in Canberra being run my me. Currently I'm remote controlling the systems back in Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    I've always been under the assumption that the 'Project challenges' had no team component, as opposed to 'Team challenges'
    All of a sudden I do not see any distinction between the two anymore
    Hmm ? I don't understand ? Think my English is too bad :-p

At Frontpage i see we take part in a MilkyWay Challenge ??? I don't know that ? Is it a Boinc Stats Challenge ? Or what ?
    Greetz,
    Chris

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast