Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fx8150

Thanks Jason but I doubt I'll have any GPU on there that is over $15 so a different board will probably work. Just different uses. I just want to play with the OC'ing and see what I can kick out. I did look at a 1100T on amazon and thought about getting it just to play with since there is on on the Skynet project that is kicking some serious points out. I guess I'll build the 2 octos in a couple of weeks and maybe get the 1100 the next month. My son and I have been spending a lot of time offroading our Jeep Wrangler the last couple of years and now due to my health problems that is a thing of the past. Ryan now wants to peddle the Jeep and put the money into some new systems to play with. Who knows, I guess we might.

Basically you want a AMD 990 FX chipset (and preferably a not yet existant AMD 1090 FX) and as many RAM slots as possible (4) and, yes indeed: as many PCIe-16 slots as possible.
    GPU projects will rocket you ahead of anybody else, if you choose the right one(s). You might, however, take the science itself into consideration. As you are into astrophysics and AMD user
    I can recommend you a mobo with 4 PCIe-16 slots for two GTX 650s (or better, for Einstein) and/or two HD 7750s (or better, for MilkyWay). But watch the power requirements!
    When you have enough money buy a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7, it even has 6 PCIe slots -but you can't run all of them at x16.
    Six hefty GPU's might even require two PSUs to provide the cables required to feed them....
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 01-22-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Hello and welcome csluyuan!

Well, what seems to be the problem? Are you running Windows or Linux?
    Best reply using 'reply with quote', as I suspect that at least one of your problems gets solved reading the code behind the pictures and links.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-05-2013 at 01:44 PM.

I have built another PC based on an AMD FX-8350 which will join my AMD 1090T in production today. Excitement building.....

Just spotted a potential new candidate for my next mobo -and most likely the new tennant of my Siemens-Fujitsu casing:

This FM2+ mobo will run with either Trinity, Richland or Kaveri, whatever you have lying around.
    Combining it with a 65 Watt APU -preferably Kaveri- and a 85 Watt graphics card (class HD 7790) gives you a quiet capable GPU cruncher at a mere 150 watt
    (That's far less than my half-way crashed C2Q/GTX 260 combo, which can clock 300 Watt for the both of them).
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-13-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John C MacAlister View Post
    I have built another PC based on an AMD FX-8350 which will join my AMD 1090T in production today. Excitement building.....
    And welcome to the forum John!
    You probably run BOINC under a nickname as I couldn't find a Canadian member in our rankings with your name.
    Can you tell us more about your systems and/or the projects that you are interested in?
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-13-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Congrats on the 8350 build. I'm pretty happy with mine with it feeding 2 HD7870XTs

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Hola 'n Howdy, John!

I like the way you dived into the POEM team at rank#6.
    That was a nice triple-back somersault plus half rotation with pike and clean entry that grabbed my attention today

Welcome to the forum. I hope you feel at home here
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    And welcome to the forum John!
    You probably run BOINC under a nickname as I couldn't find a Canadian member in our rankings with your name.
    Can you tell us more about your systems and/or the projects that you are interested in?
    Hi, Dirk:

Thank you for the welcome message to which I did not yet reply as I am busy getting the FX-8350 ready for production. The installation of Linux has caused a bit of a wrinkle, but all will be resolved today (Friday, 14 June)

My System 1-

Processor: 6 core AMD Phenom II 1090T with aftermarket cooler - name forgotten (Arctic?) and I don't want to open the case
    MOBO: ASUS M5A99X EVO
    GPU: AMD HD 6570, HD 6670, 6970

I process various WCG project tasks, rosetta@home, Folding@home, POEM@home, malariacontrol.net, etc., etc. on this machine

My System 2-

Processor: 8 core AMD FX-8350 with Corsair H80i liquid cooler
    MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0
    GPU: AMD HD 6570, ASUS NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti (X2)

I process various WCG project tasks DSFL, SN2S, etc.), Folding@home, rosetta@home, POEM@home, malariacontrol.net, GPUGrid etc., etc. on this machine

My project mix changes frequently as I want to ensure my priority projects are getting attention.

On the AMD Users Team, I am contributing results from rosetta@home, POEM@home, malariacontrol.net and boincsimap.

My user name for all is John C MacAlister

Best wishes fro m Ontario, Canada!
    Last edited by John C MacAlister; 06-14-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks, Jason:

I am looking forward to the results. Once I have accumulated a good sample running Win7, I will compare these with the results under Linux Mint.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast