Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best CPUs for Asteroids@Home

Well we still have BOINC@Australia climbing our back. Six days of this and then shut down till the 8th. The good thing about this for me though is that the heat output is low as the gpu's aren't running. Those things just boost the heat and power consumption ferociously. So I think just maybe I'll start doing a shift over to asteroids for the longer haul. Sure saves wear and tear on the a/c system. Plus we need more work put into the asteroid searching for spaceship Earth!
    Last edited by Brucifer; 08-24-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Yes, I saw the Aussies coming, but you've kept them nicely at bay for today.

How many cores did you use for this ferocious output?

26 cores. But with the server maintenance going on longer than what was advertised, the output will be down today as some of the cores are out of work and have been. Some of those cores are slow dual core amd's that will likely be replaced by some new multi-cores that suck less power. But that isn't going to happen for a couple months most likely. I've got some stuff laying around that I could get another quad going in a day or so possibly. But they will get us anyway cause of the upcoming road trip. Just need to get some more folks on this and we could be one of the top ten in Bok's daily team stats.... :-) We just don't have any corporate crunchers like some of those teams that have some heavy resources on this.

well the server outage yesterday definitely messed with the stats today for many folks.... but oh well, on the beach of time I guess it really doesn't matter much at all. lol There's always tomorrow, or at least we sure hope so. :-)

Rats.... Big electrical storm. Power surges. Shut down the farm. At least I have my trusty mini iPad that runs on a battery! Lol. So one day it is the asteroids server maintenance. Then the next day is electrical storms. Sure is quiet in my computer room now! I can even hear the clicking of the keyboard. :-) However it's the time of year for this stuff to start up again.... at least for around here.

It appears that the supply of work units is in the process of running low as my crunchers aren't able to obtain replacement work units for those that are crunched and reported. Not a good thing..... Sure hope that that gets resolved before I run out as I hate seeing crunchers idle on a project. Can always add another project but then that in turn reduces output for the primary project. Life is just full of these little irritations huh?? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    It appears that the supply of work units is in the process of running low as my crunchers aren't able to obtain replacement work units for those that are crunched and reported. Not a good thing..... Sure hope that that gets resolved before I run out as I hate seeing crunchers idle on a project. Can always add another project but then that in turn reduces output for the primary project. Life is just full of these little irritations huh?? lol
    Always a PITA to have a shortage. I have a habit of losing interest and moving on rather than splitting the output. I just moved a couple of systems and the rest can stay on NFS for now. But the Aussies went screaming into the rearview mirror all of a sudden after you mentioned you needed help (not from my output I still only have points for about 1 in 8 that I have run). I have 2CH about to go down one in MOO so I wasn't really doing anything with the CPU's anyway. All the GPU's are still humming away and tossing out a little less than a 1.5 million a day in Moo. Oh how often does Bok update the stats page on this project? Is it just once a day?

Can always add another project but then that in turn reduces output for the primary project
    Me I just keep adding projects the more cores/threads I am running, which got rewarded with 'Clanks', 'Vaio's', 'MiRBs' and a 'Maxwell' so far.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-26-2013 at 07:33 PM.

" 'Clanks', 'Vaio's', 'MiRBs' and a 'Maxwell'"........ I saw this and started laughing because I have no idea what any of those are. I had to look them up. I saw Vaio and wondered if you meant a Laptop, and thought that would be cool to get.

AFAIK:
    • Clanks are for the number of projects you are actively involved in (scores in the last 30 days or so).
    • Vaios are for the number of projects for which you are within the top 5 of your sign-up date.
    • Maxwells are for the projects/Mega Milestones you are within the top-100 (got mine for my Clank).
    • MiRBs are for the number of Mega Milestone you scored within the top-1000.

Terry's Mega Milestone look like
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-26-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast